4.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to set bid adjustments by device?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a display campaign running and have one device bid adjustment set when the campaign was set up. The bid adjustment is by device and is for mobile devices with full browsers. The adjustments for computers and tablets has never been setup.

I am wanting to increase my bid for tablets but I can't find out where to make this happen. None of the google adwords articles explain how to do this. I found one that claims the steps it shows will work but in fact it must be horribly outdated because the steps do NOT work.

It is insane to think that my campaign has to be scrapped and a new one made to set this up or to think that once the campaign is set up it is impossible to start adjustments on devices that were never set to begin with.

I had asked a 'google adwords adviser' this previously but he stopped all communication claiming he was no longer assigned to my account! He took the time to tellme that but not to help with this problem! Not very professional if you ask me.

Can someone on here help?

Thanks,

Ken

1 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ken K
September 2015

Re: How to set bid adjustments by device?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Bid adjustment to be increased or decreased by any % base bid is considered your desktop bid. (Desktops and tablets are clubbed together as one type of device for bidding purposes)

So what ever Max CPC you have set will be applied to desktops and tablets. If you want to increase or decrease it then you just have to increase or decrease your Max CPC.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ken,

As Nik explains you cannot separate out tablets at this point in time - Google considers tablets and desktops to be the same thing for these purposes - strange, I agree, but there it is.

Even more bizarrely, in Google Analytics, tablets are lumped together with mobile devices....

Your bid adjustments for mobiles can range from -100% (which eliminates mobile traffic to all intents and purposes) and +300% - dropping the base bid on desktops will drastically reduce the traffic on these, and you can then "target" mobiles by pushing it up by +300%....

There is no effective way to target tablets.... sorry...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Ken
You are almost right but there is no such thing called minimum CPC its actually Maximum CPC.
Regards, Nik

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
As several others pointed out, Google has determined that the results and user experience of tablets to desktops is very similar and unfortunately has decided to lump them together.

There are only two things I can think of that you can do...

1. You can dig into your analytics to see if certain keywords or adgroups are driving your tablet traffic and adjust the bids on those keywords.

2. Write ads that are specifically calling out tablet users or even ad extensions targeting tablet users... (Ipad Owner?) or something that draws tablet clicks over desktop or mobile... Without knowing more about your offer I can't think about how to write one, but the idea is the same. Get Creative Smiley Happy

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

Bid adjustment to be increased or decreased by any % base bid is considered your desktop bid. (Desktops and tablets are clubbed together as one type of device for bidding purposes)

So what ever Max CPC you have set will be applied to desktops and tablets. If you want to increase or decrease it then you just have to increase or decrease your Max CPC.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Ken,

As Nik explains you cannot separate out tablets at this point in time - Google considers tablets and desktops to be the same thing for these purposes - strange, I agree, but there it is.

Even more bizarrely, in Google Analytics, tablets are lumped together with mobile devices....

Your bid adjustments for mobiles can range from -100% (which eliminates mobile traffic to all intents and purposes) and +300% - dropping the base bid on desktops will drastically reduce the traffic on these, and you can then "target" mobiles by pushing it up by +300%....

There is no effective way to target tablets.... sorry...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
theniks and stickleback,

Thanks. That helps.

If I understand properly, in order to adjust the bids to tablets and computers I would need to change the minimum CPC value and then calculate how much to change the mobile bid adjustment to keep it the same.

Is that right?

Ken
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi Ken
You are almost right but there is no such thing called minimum CPC its actually Maximum CPC.
Regards, Nik
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
As several others pointed out, Google has determined that the results and user experience of tablets to desktops is very similar and unfortunately has decided to lump them together.

There are only two things I can think of that you can do...

1. You can dig into your analytics to see if certain keywords or adgroups are driving your tablet traffic and adjust the bids on those keywords.

2. Write ads that are specifically calling out tablet users or even ad extensions targeting tablet users... (Ipad Owner?) or something that draws tablet clicks over desktop or mobile... Without knowing more about your offer I can't think about how to write one, but the idea is the same. Get Creative Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you all for your help. This information should help me to figure out how to get what I want accomplished.

Ken

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Anyone help out, how to adjust bids based on devices through out the day. 

Across computers and tablets:
- Decrease bid by 10% from 12am to 6am;
- Increase bid by 20% from 6am to 4pm;
- Decrease bid by 10% from 4pm to 8pm;
- Increase bid by 10% from 8pm to 12pm.

The above is my situation and need to set up bids based on schedule. Can anyone say how set up these

Thanks,

Yokesh

Ken K wrote:

I have a display campaign running and have one device bid adjustment set when the campaign was set up. The bid adjustment is by device and is for mobile devices with full browsers. The adjustments for computers and tablets has never been setup.

I am wanting to increase my bid for tablets but I can't find out where to make this happen. None of the google adwords articles explain how to do this. I found one that claims the steps it shows will work but in fact it must be horribly outdated because the steps do NOT work.

It is insane to think that my campaign has to be scrapped and a new one made to set this up or to think that once the campaign is set up it is impossible to start adjustments on devices that were never set to begin with.

I had asked a 'google adwords adviser' this previously but he stopped all communication claiming he was no longer assigned to my account! He took the time to tellme that but not to help with this problem! Not very professional if you ask me.

Can someone on here help?

Thanks,

Ken