AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to set OVERALL budget for campaign NOT just a daily budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I experimenting with a one-off ad campaign and I have a certain budget to spend. Once that budget is reached i want to campaign to pause or stop. Im not interested in setting just a daily budget that can go over what I tell it to spend or spend $ while im asleep overnight. Has anyone encountered this problem before and can anyone please advise me how I should approach what should be in theory a simple matter? thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Vincent,

Budgets are set based on a monthly amount. That amount is compiled using a formula of 30.4 days X the daily amount. 
So if you wanted to spend 600.00 this month, you would set a $20 daily budget. If you were wanting to spend this for one month and then pause it, you could simply set an appointment on your phone, calendar, etc.. for the last day of the month and log in and pause it. 

You could also run a script to automate this. Check out this script

And you could run an automated rule to alert you, but may not be exactly what you want. Check out this info.

The thing with AdWords is that it requires heavy monitoring to yield the best results. It's not a set it and walk away kind of system. For us that use AdWords professionally, we are in our accounts many times per day. Keeping track of the budget is handled well because of that. Yet we all still apply the 30.4 budget formula to manage spend levels

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply J Clemens,

I guess ill just have to set a low daily limit then, I appreciate the advice about monitoring your accounts many times per day. I have to admit i'm a bit stunned that there is no easy eg. I want to spend a $100 budget ad campaign, not $1 more sort of option.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Vincent,

You are very welcome. 

You could use an automated rule to alert you when budget is low and then log in and shut it down.

Or you could set a daily budget that would roughly cover the time span you want and then set an appointment to log in and shut it down. Say $20 daily for five days. 

Please keep in mind that it may take a few days to get performance happening, then it will level off and remain at your daily budget. We often see that for the first day or do it will way under perform and then crank right up and hold to our budget. 

All the Best,

James

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Historically, AdWords was built and designed based on the daily budget. This is one of the fundamental core designs of the system. I don't think Google is going to change this in the near future. But, as James mentioned, there are enough features and tools (e.g. scripts and automated rules) to help control the budget on a monthly basis. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Vincent.

I feel your pain. Google should have an monthly budget feature or a once-off budget feature but, they don't.

If you didn't want to go over budget accidentally you could set an end date for the campaign.

So for instance if we used your example of $100 budget and decided to spend it over a month you'd divide the $100 by 30.4 (average days per month) and then set the daily budget to $3.28.

You'd set the campaign end date to a month from the start date to make sure the campaign stops even if you forget or are otherwise unable to stop it.