Guide Me
star_border

How to select only mobile - device targeting in the Display Network

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

I find mobile targeting in Display Campaigns more interesting than the mobile targeting in Search because we can select specific expensive devices. Also in Search targeting for mobiles is a bidding strategy, not even a real targeting. Can a Search only campaign serve ads 100% on mobiles like the device targeting ?

Because in the Display Network Only campaign there is this option to select devices or operating systems. I want to know if there is a way to select all mobiles from the list or to exclude all tablets.

Let's say that the final aim of this would be to target only mobiles through a Display Network campaign for people who are reading a website and are in a 10 miles area around a shop, they can be influenced to buy something , an impulse buy or at least to visit .

Or another targeting : people writing emails on the fly , gmail targeting+ mobile can drive them to take advantage of a nearby discount like -50% for an old stock of clothing.

I do not belive that people carry on the street 10 inch tablets of 0.6 kg to look for something to buy, but a 4-5 inch phone, they have all the time.

I can see in the options that I can select

a) the Operating system ( but they run on both mobile and tablets). Can I select here for example Android only for mobiles ?

b) the Device Models ( but they do not say which are tablet and which are mobile). Can I select here all device models that represent mobiles ( not tablets) ? Perhaps through a not very well known parameter like the ValueTrack {ifmobile:[value]} for landing pages , or a script parameter or the adwords editor. Who knows what options are out there.

c) Is the only option a manual research of all devices which are mobile from the "device models" list with hundreds of choices and manually selecting each one ?

can-I-select-only-mobile-from-list.png

Thank you in advance if you want to provide a feedback to this problem.

Re: How to select only mobile - device targeting in the Display Networ

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

No answer after 75 views ? No problem, moving on.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian you seem to have stumbled on a very little known setting. Google recently removed the ability to target specific mobile devices separately as is possible in the example you gave.

After speaking with Google, they confirmed that it is possible to do this on any type of display campaign - so remarketing, contextual, topic based, etc. However it is not possible to have this level of control within a search campaign.

As for your device targeting question, it looks like there is no way to quickly pick android tablets from smartphone devices. It seems you have to know which ones you want to target by manual research.

Wonder why no one is talking about this. I guess most assumed it wasn't possible for all campaign types.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
March 14

Anything new with that? Do i still need to pick manually hundreds of android devices just for excluding tablets from my android campaigns?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

At least I found out for sure that even tablets with a call function (GSM, 3G) are not useful to target if you want a call button near the Display Ad, here is the explanation :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Click-to-call-button-for-tablets-with-3g-...

I am following the update page of AdWords to see when they will help us select mobiles more easy from the Device list.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian B; my 5 cents

I select wifi OR carrrier to segment between 'on the go' and 'home/work' use.
That way I dont have to decided if a user uses his big 10 inch Samsung tablet on the go or not.

Hope this helps...