2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to select an ad in an adgroup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have learned auction is actually in keywords level dependent on quality score and CPC. However, I'm a little bit confused by the ad serving. 

For example:

Adgroup 1

• ad 1
  • ad 2 
  • keyword 1
  • keyword 2

Suppose keyword 1 wins the auction, which ad would be served?

Point 1:
ad 1 and ad 2 would be selected randomly or following any pre-defined rule.

Point 2: Keyword 1's quality score varies with 2 ads, which means the quality score in the auction actually is dependent on the combination of ad&keyword. Therefore, when a keyword wins, the respective ad will be served too. 

Could someone help explain?

Thanks.

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JB H
September 2015

Re: How to select an ad in an adgroup

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi there,

Point 1: Ads to be served are based on the 'ad rotation' setting at the campaign level. This is set to 'optimize for clicks' by default and hence the better performing ad would be shown more number of times among the two.

Point 2: Yes, quality score is calculated on every search as keyword-ad combination may change. If you have more than one ad in the ad group, it is the ad rotation setting that determines which ad is shown by the system.

More about ad rotation here.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi JB,

I would start by reading about your ad rotation settings. These will help Google decide which ad within your ad group to pair with the keyword that has been matched for the auction.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author JB H
September 2015

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi there,

Point 1: Ads to be served are based on the 'ad rotation' setting at the campaign level. This is set to 'optimize for clicks' by default and hence the better performing ad would be shown more number of times among the two.

Point 2: Yes, quality score is calculated on every search as keyword-ad combination may change. If you have more than one ad in the ad group, it is the ad rotation setting that determines which ad is shown by the system.

More about ad rotation here.

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
nothing coming up on 'select ad group', can you tell me what to do?

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Faith,

The best way to get an up-to-date answer is to start your own separate thread. Please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thanks!

Cassie

Community Manager
# 6
Community Manager

This early 2015 thread was closed to new replies.

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please follow the excellent advice offered by @CassieH in her post just above.

Many thanks.