star_border

How to reuse an e-mail address for AdWords

[ Edited ]
GDi Google Employee
Google Employee
# 1
GDi Google Employee
Google Employee

If you find yourself constantly switching between AdWords accounts you might benefit from this tip from our AdWords support team.

Here's a common issue:

Let's say that you have a primary email that you use all the time, e.g. john@example.com, but you cannot use it with AdWords, because it's already associated to an old, unused AdWords account. Every time you access your new and active AdWords account you first sign out and sign in again with a different email address, e.g. john2@example.com. Note that if you manage several AdWords accounts we recommend managing them using My Client Center.

This also means that when you're browsing the AdWords Help Center while signed in with john@example.com you will not always see articles that match the issues of your active account.

There is a solution to this!

You cannot just remove your primary email address from your unused account (you must always be able to access all your AdWords accounts), but what you can do instead is:

1. Create a new email address (e.g. john3@example.com).
  2. Sign in to your unused AdWords account with john@example.com.
  3. Invite john3@example.com as an administrator to this AdWords account (steps: Share and manage account access).
  4. Sign out of AdWords and all Google properties.
  5. Open the inbox of your new email address (john3@example.com), find the invitation email from AdWords, open the link and follow the instructions, using the option “I do not use these other services”.
  6. Sign in to AdWords with your new email address (john3@example.com).
  7. Terminate access for john@example.com (steps: Share and manage account access).

Now your primary email address is no longer connected to an AdWords-account, and you'll be able to invite john@example.com to any account you want!

To do this, you need to:

1. Sign in to the AdWords account you normally use (john2@example.com).
  2. Invite your primary email address (john@example.com).
  3. Sign out of AdWords and all Google properties where you're signed in with john2@example.com.
  4. Open the inbox of john@example.com, find the invitation e-mail in your email inbox, click on the link and follow the instructions, using the option “I do not use these other services”.
  5. Now you’ll again have to sign in to the AdWords account you normally use with john2@example.com, open the Account Access page, find the email address you just invited in the "Pending invitations" section, then click Grant access.
  6. Then sign out of john2@example.com.
  7. Next time you sign in with john@example.com you'll have direct access to your AdWords account with your primary email address!

If you’re having trouble inviting or terminating access you can find more details with screenshots in the Help Center Article Share and manage account access.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How to reuse an e-mail address for AdWords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GDi,

Nice post. MCC IMO is a MUST for agencies and anyone managing multiple accounts for clients.

I would like to suggest a couple of things though as this seems like there could be some confusion based on what you posted.

I've definitely suggested this exact/similar method previously, but only for when the current email association with an AdWords Account needs to be changed on and existing AdWords account. 

Similarly, if the current email association is with an AdWords account that is NOT owned or was NOT opened by the user (old/expired invitation or old association with unrelated account). In these cases, the owner/admin of the old associated account is needed too to help with the revocation of access.

I do think for most advertisers (which are not agencies managing multiple accounts), it is quite important to point out that having an 'old, unused AdWords account' and a 'New Account' is NOT a good idea, actually something I would definitely NOT recommend.  This can lead to Double Serving issues which often end up in suspension and inability to advertise on Google's services.

If a single Advertiser has an existing AdWords account, they should absolutely revive that account versus opening a new one.

Cheers,

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by rashu (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi GDi,

Nice post. MCC IMO is a MUST for agencies and anyone managing multiple accounts for clients.

I would like to suggest a couple of things though as this seems like there could be some confusion based on what you posted.

I've definitely suggested this exact/similar method previously, but only for when the current email association with an AdWords Account needs to be changed on and existing AdWords account. 

Similarly, if the current email association is with an AdWords account that is NOT owned or was NOT opened by the user (old/expired invitation or old association with unrelated account). In these cases, the owner/admin of the old associated account is needed too to help with the revocation of access.

I do think for most advertisers (which are not agencies managing multiple accounts), it is quite important to point out that having an 'old, unused AdWords account' and a 'New Account' is NOT a good idea, actually something I would definitely NOT recommend.  This can lead to Double Serving issues which often end up in suspension and inability to advertise on Google's services.

If a single Advertiser has an existing AdWords account, they should absolutely revive that account versus opening a new one.

Cheers,

Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Gdi,

Thanks for such a nice informative post.

Regards

-Vicky

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Brillant post, a must read for everyone whose new to Adwords. I've actually had to do this once Smiley Happy

Would also like to add that by having an MCC account, all you need to do is ensure that the login you use to access the MCC also has access to all the individual Google Analytics accounts that the MCC contains, then you can directly use the same login to access Analytics as well.

Regards,

Nikhil 

GDi Google Employee
Google Employee
# 5
GDi Google Employee
Google Employee
Thank you all, really appreciate your feedback! And yes, surely an MCC is to be preferred for managing multiple accounts, that cannot be emphasized enough! Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I will note down the procedure. Thank you for sharing GDi

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks GDi and Tom. 

I'll definately try MCC. 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Worked out what I was doing wrong... Be sure to be signed into your newly added account access email in order to terminate access to your primary email. You can't terminate access to an email address you're signed in with!! Doh!!

=========

(I was stuck, worked it out above) But I can't use my existing email address to setup the MCC. Nor can I seemingly remove access to my current email address now that I have added a different email with admin access. Can anyone help?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Why doesn't Google just fix the darn thing. I, and probably countless others, have wasted quite a bit of time on this.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The above process no longer works. Perhaps something has changed since it was written. On step #4 it prompts to create a new google account for use with AdWords.