Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to remove underperfoming keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I would like to know how to remove under performing keywords based on CTR? but the campaign ran for 30 days and the impression count is very low.

Thank you,

Hemanth

2 Expert replyverified_user
Highlighted

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's tricky to make decisions based on low data pools - you could easily make the wrong change.

My recommendation would be to wait until you have enough data to feel comfortable - and, unfortunately, without getting into heavy statistical analysis, that has to be a gut feeling.

But - there are things you can do that will help move the process along. And these things are based around the spend. I've never come across an account that didn't have a limited budget - some are larger than others, but they all have a limit. As you reach the limits and you're spending what you are comfortable spending, then you can start to look at which keywords give you the best returns - this does not (necessarily) mean those with the best CTR. You need to be sure you have conversion tracking in place so you can give a "value" to the traffic. If yours is an online store that's easy - If it's B2B it's harder, but essentially there are going to be things you want your visitors to do. 

Since you want to spend your budget on those visitors that do those things, it makes more sense to look at which keywords bring the best performing visitors - regardless of the CTR... if the CTR is low but the return is good, then you need to work on improving the CTR - perhaps bid higher for a better position, or look at the scheduling or device adjustments, etc.

Focusing on CTR could be misleading. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello @pavan h

I use a combination of CTR,  conversions and QS. If you have a KW with a QS of 3, yet well  converting, within the CPA goals, I would keep it and  continue to optimize. That said, as @stickleback mentioned, having a solid sampling size (i.e. data) is the key. You would not want to make a decision based on 10 impressions and 2 clicks... But 1000 impressions and20 clicks with no conversion, is reasonable sampling size to make a decision.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Experts in the Topic
stickleback
MosheTLV