Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to put a total $ limit on a campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm new to AdWords and set up a test campaign using my credit card, with a $10/day limit. I didn't see any field that would allow me to put a total limit on the campaign--just a limit on the number of days it would run. How do I set a maximum per day, and a maximum spend, without putting an end date to the campaign?

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to put a total $ limit on a campaign

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Simple. You can choose that when you create campaign in "Budget" option where the amount is shown in your currency / day.
Or if you created campaign you can click on your campaign name, choose campaign settings tab and scroll down to "Budget" option.
There you set budget just for that selected campaign.
Regards.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christopher D,

in addition to what Drazen F said, you should be aware that campaigns cost might exceed their daily budget by 20%. But AdWords uses a monthly charging limit so you won't be charged more than your daily budget multiplied by 30,4 (in your case, maximum that you'd be charged is $304). Also, monthly charging limit won't be used if your daily budget changes throughout the month.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christopher D
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You can set up an automated rule to pause your campaign as soon as it reaches budget you've set for it. More on automated rules here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Simple. You can choose that when you create campaign in "Budget" option where the amount is shown in your currency / day.
Or if you created campaign you can click on your campaign name, choose campaign settings tab and scroll down to "Budget" option.
There you set budget just for that selected campaign.
Regards.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christopher D,

in addition to what Drazen F said, you should be aware that campaigns cost might exceed their daily budget by 20%. But AdWords uses a monthly charging limit so you won't be charged more than your daily budget multiplied by 30,4 (in your case, maximum that you'd be charged is $304). Also, monthly charging limit won't be used if your daily budget changes throughout the month.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, but that's not quite my question. I know how to set the limit per day, and I understand from Drazen F's reply below that Google might go a little bit over that on any given day. I also understand how to set up a final date that the campaign comes down.

What I don't understand is how I can put a fixed $ amount that when reached will terminate the campaign. I don't want to spend $300 this month until I've had an opportunity to see the results of the click throughs. I'd like to be able to set a maximum for the campaign like $150 and have the campaign run for as long as it takes to use up that $150, whether it's 15 days or 45 days. Is there a way to do that?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
If I understood correctly, you should put daily budget to 300$ and then choose "Delivery method (advanced)" --> pick "Accelerated".
That way your ads gonna show until budget is depleted.
Just take care that you use prepaid payments.
Is that correct?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christopher D
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
You can set up an automated rule to pause your campaign as soon as it reaches budget you've set for it. More on automated rules here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Again mObsivac hits the bull`s eye. Hers answer should do the trick!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Excellent! That's just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to set my credit card with 10 dollars per day max ..i need help to have it done  today 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Rosalba, you can set your campaign to spend $10/day on the "Settings" page (Tab), at Google.com/AdWords when you are logged into your account.  

The daily ad spend will sometimes exceed $10 by a bit, but Google will make it AVERAGE about $10/day ($300/mo) each month. 

You can also set the end date for a campaign, to limit total spending. 

In 99% of cases it isn't necessary to get fancier than that. 

Please be aware, this is a mostly peer-to-peer support community and as forum members, we can mainly offer suggestions. In other words, we are volunteers; not Google employees or representatives; and we therefore cannot view/access your account, or change it's configuration. 

hth