Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to only target United Kingdom?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm trying to target only people in United Kingdom so I set my location targeting in the settings option to United Kingdom. However, when I go into the locations tab and look at the 'where your users were' report, I'm finding searches from all over the world like Afghanistan, United States and Pakistan. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a solution to this?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sabir P
September 2015

Re: How to only target United Kingdom?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Sabir,

Welcome to Adwords Community !

It is because you had set the location settings as default option (People in, searching ...) if you want to restrict your ads to targeted location you have to change it to People in my targeted location (2 option). To Know more about the advanced location settings go through the link below.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sabir,

Just go into your campaign settings again and look for Location options (advanced), expand this section and check to see what you have selected under the Target option. By default you will have "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)" which means that anyone overseas searching about the UK will have an opportunity to see your ads for example. Change this to the second option (People in my targeted location) and you should be fine then.

If you can't find it then let me know and I'll grab a screenshot for you Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Sabir,

Welcome to Adwords Community !

It is because you had set the location settings as default option (People in, searching ...) if you want to restrict your ads to targeted location you have to change it to People in my targeted location (2 option). To Know more about the advanced location settings go through the link below.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722038?hl=en
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sabir,

Just go into your campaign settings again and look for Location options (advanced), expand this section and check to see what you have selected under the Target option. By default you will have "People in, searching for or viewing pages about my targeted location (recommended)" which means that anyone overseas searching about the UK will have an opportunity to see your ads for example. Change this to the second option (People in my targeted location) and you should be fine then.

If you can't find it then let me know and I'll grab a screenshot for you Smiley Happy

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

oh of course. thanks guys. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A follow-up question. The option doesn't seem to be there for Shopping campaigns. Is there a way to do it for shopping campaigns as well?