AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to manually add negative Keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I want to add negative keywords to my campaign or ad group.

I went to the support page.

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/30553?hl=en-GB

Pasted below;

Add individual negative keywords to ad groups or campaigns

1. Select Keywords and Targeting > Keywords, Negative.
  2. Click on Add negative keyword and select Ad group negative keyword or Campaign negative keyword.
  3. If prompted, select the destination for the new negative keyword and click on OK.
  4. Enter the negative keyword in the edit panel.

---

So where do I "Select Keywords and Targeting". 

Not very informative.

I'd appreciate any help.

Mike & Ian

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mike M
September 2015

Re: How to manually add negative Keywords?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey

No problems. Thought is start with that just in case.

Depending on at which level you want to add negative keywords (campaign level, ad group level for example, which we can address shortly), click on the following path

Ad groups > choose an ad group > keywords > at the bottom of the keyword list, you will see a Negative Keywords option which is minimised. Click on this to maximise it and it will give you options to add negative keywords. Click on the word add and you can start adding negative keywords.

Thats in its simplist format. Please also consider at what level you are applying the negative keywords to, and also what match types.

Hope that helps a little

Perhaps have a little play and message once again on here with further instructions if needed?

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Mike and Ian,

If you want to add negative keywords at Campaign level, you should select your desired Campaign, then click on the "Keywords" tab, then scroll down all the way, where you will see an option that says "+negative keywords".
If you are running Display Network Campaigns, you should select your Campaign, then click on the "Display Network" tab (last one), then select "Display Keywords" on the sub-menu and then do the same: scroll all the way down until you see the "+Exclusions" button. That's where you will be able to enter the things you want to exclude, including Keywords (among other things such as placements, topics, etc).

When you want to add negative keywords on Ad Group level, you will do the exact same thing - but you will select the specific Ad Group, instead of a whole campaign.

Hope to have helped.

Carlos

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Mike and Ian

Welcome

Don't worry, we can help with this.

I recommend visiting the link below and press the guide me button and / or watch the very short video. This should give you an illustrative example. Its true, at times the help desk can be a little confusing on some aspects so dont worry, it happens to us all Smiley Happy

If still unclear after doing this guide me task, reply to this post and we will answer

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en-GB

Hope that helps

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi James

I actually tried this before I went to the page I pasted above.

"There has not been enough activity for us to generate an Auction insights report. Please select a different range or alter your selection."

Hence I want to manually add the negative keywords. Is this not possible then?

Thanks

Ian & Mike
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey

No problems. Thought is start with that just in case.

Depending on at which level you want to add negative keywords (campaign level, ad group level for example, which we can address shortly), click on the following path

Ad groups > choose an ad group > keywords > at the bottom of the keyword list, you will see a Negative Keywords option which is minimised. Click on this to maximise it and it will give you options to add negative keywords. Click on the word add and you can start adding negative keywords.

Thats in its simplist format. Please also consider at what level you are applying the negative keywords to, and also what match types.

Hope that helps a little

Perhaps have a little play and message once again on here with further instructions if needed?

James

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Ps, i think the first link you sent was an answer to use negative kw using Adwords editor?

Are you using the Adwords UI or editor?

Kindest R

James
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Mike and Ian,

If you want to add negative keywords at Campaign level, you should select your desired Campaign, then click on the "Keywords" tab, then scroll down all the way, where you will see an option that says "+negative keywords".
If you are running Display Network Campaigns, you should select your Campaign, then click on the "Display Network" tab (last one), then select "Display Keywords" on the sub-menu and then do the same: scroll all the way down until you see the "+Exclusions" button. That's where you will be able to enter the things you want to exclude, including Keywords (among other things such as placements, topics, etc).

When you want to add negative keywords on Ad Group level, you will do the exact same thing - but you will select the specific Ad Group, instead of a whole campaign.

Hope to have helped.

Carlos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for these informative replies James and Carlos.

I will follow your instructions first thing tomorrow morning when back in the office and let you know how I got on. I've got some confidence now.

Much appreciated.

Ian & Mike

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Success, Thanks again.