Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to increase quality score

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am very new to Adwords. Recently i setup my campagin and lost much money in adsense by ending with a few clicks. I got competed with first page ad by setting too much click rate. There by i have exausted all of my money. Now again i recharged my account and lowered my bid so that it comeptes for 3 or 4 th positions. But as quality score (CTR) has much influence in ad positionings. I can able to get conversions of this bad adwords setup. Can anyone tell me on how to improve my quality score and CTR?? I have a very good landing page which can beat all of my competitors. But all i am lacking is quality score, it was just 4 out of 10 sometimes even 3.

Waiting for your replies....

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How to increase quality score

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Vijetaboss,

Quality Score of keywords depend on lots of factors and can take sometime to make improvments. You are right CTR is one of most important factor in calculating the QS, but beside this, it depends on the relevancy in between your keywords and ad texts and landing page. History of keywords, historical CTR of the display URLs in the ad group, account's performance in the geographical region where the ad will be shown etc.

Google adwords calculate the QS for Search and Display network in diferent way. Kindly read the What is the AdWords "Quality Score" and how is it calculated? to get better understanding about QS. 

Dinesh
My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Vijetaboss,

Quality Score of keywords depend on lots of factors and can take sometime to make improvments. You are right CTR is one of most important factor in calculating the QS, but beside this, it depends on the relevancy in between your keywords and ad texts and landing page. History of keywords, historical CTR of the display URLs in the ad group, account's performance in the geographical region where the ad will be shown etc.

Google adwords calculate the QS for Search and Display network in diferent way. Kindly read the What is the AdWords "Quality Score" and how is it calculated? to get better understanding about QS. 

Dinesh
My Blog

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there and thank you for the informative reply....

I would like to know :

I get the message : Rarely shown due to low quality score with a NEW Campaign.

If I had to create several different Ads containing specifically the keywords where I get this message - would this improve my Quality Score ?

If yes how would this be done because I have the 1 Campaign with 1 Ad Group and all the ads in there would "pick up"all the same keywords in there

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi vegitaboss, 

There is a good Wiki (user) article on quality score posted here. Check it out. 

Zee

Zee
G+

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Uriel,

First thing....nothing is sure shot guaranteed Smiley Happy

You actually have to keep on experimenting with lots of things in terms of keywords, their match types, ad copies etc...

Quality Score is a complex part of Adwords and there are lot of factors involved in it. As Dinesh has given a useful link above, it guides you how actually Adwords calculate it for different scenarios.

Past historical account performance, historical CTR, how other advertisers have used those Low QS keywords in the past etc...does matter a lot.

In my opinion, keep on tweaking with different match types, try re grouping of some ad groups..I have myself seen that if you re-group the keywords in tight theme, QS jumps..

But ultimately it's your ROI which matters in the end. If you think you are not getting any benefit out of Low QS keywords by trying out different strategies for long time, you might consider pausing them and re launching some new variations...

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

I really appreciate your informative reply - thank you very much and yes I would like to try your suggestions....

I am not entirely sure how though.... When you say tightly theme the keywords into groups - what exactly does this mean?

Let me give you the keyphrases I have and maybe you could give me an example if you dont mind ?

hair stylist

hair dresser

hair salon

hair coloring

hair colouring

hair extensions for short hair

great lengths hair extentions cost

protein bond hair extentions

brazillian blow dry

brazilian blow dry

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello again Uriel,

Normally what I do when creating the ad groups is the theme of the keywords based on product, service etc...

In your example, I would keep hair coloring, hair colouring in one ad group, brazillian blow dry, brazilian blow dry in second, hair stylist, hair dresser in 3rd, hair extensions for short hair, protein bond hair extensions in 4th and will try to find theme based for rest so as to arrange them accordingly in different ad groups. That's one way I could think of.

You can refer to this article for more details: Organizing your account

Just a thought!

Pankaj