AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to improve CTR to my search campaign ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi to every one,

I am running one search campaign but my CTR is very low and QS is 5-7,  how can i improve my ctr , can you suggest  me anyone.

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to improve CTR to my search campaign ?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Malli,

I'd suggest taking a look at your search queries and adding as many negatives as possible (as long as you aren't restricting good traffic). On top of that, ad testing is very important. Take a look at your current ads and see which ads are performing best. Write new ads based upon those to test and improve. Pause any ads that aren't working. You could also consider improving your position to see if that helps.

As a side note, just make sure that when you're looking at ad performance, you're also factoring in conversions. CTR is important but not as important as generating leads/sales! Smiley Happy

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Malli,

Another thing to consider is your keyword match type.

For example if you are using 'broad' match keywords, change the match type to more restricted modified broad match or phrase match.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Deepak

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner
Malli,

Follow the advice of Amy on looking for negative keywords to reduce irrelevant impressions
Follow the advice of Deepak and check your Match types.

CTR is clicks/impressions

Also make sure you are using all the available Ad Extensions, to improve your Ad Rank, Improve the "visual real estate" of how much Ad Space you ad is seen.

Next is to check your Ad Rank Position, if your ads are in the 4-10 spot they usually rack up impressions with out getting clicks, Is it economically feasible to be shown in the 1-3 spots? This can be accomplished by raising your Bid and working the best practices of QS, and Ad extensions.

So once you take out potential bad or irrelevant impressions through negatives and potentially tighter keyword match, worked on the Bids, extensions and best practices for QS, you will want to check if you Ads are compelling and bringing in the right targeted potential customer.

Are your ads compelling, Do the offer a Unique Selling Proposition that sets you apart from your competition?

Factors that can effect CTR :
Negative keywords to reduce irrelevant search queries
The Ad itself
The Keyword Match Type of the query
Use of all ad extensions
The Ad rank or Position on the search results
Best practices for Quality Score.

Hope that helps

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Malli, further to the great advice you've already received, do note that a QS of 5 is actually considered "Average", so don't become obsessed with seeking a higher QS at the expense of other aspects of the Account.  As Amy has already mentioned, the most important part of any AdWords Account is results, not numbers, and it's totally possible to have a Keyword with a QS of 5 (or even lower) that actually performs very well, and whose score cannot be improved.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
One of the weekly reports that i like to run is a "bad CTR report" - basically. So, I look over the campaign history and pause the terms that have accured tons of impressions and no clicks. Then, I look for terms that have under a .5% CTR w no conversions. They all get paused.

If I'm puzzled at the CTR -- I can also pull those into a new ad group and test new ad copy with them... But, usually I pause them and move on. You can get a good bounce in CTR just from keeping a clean account.

All of the other suggestions are excellent as well!

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Malli,

Tons of excellent suggestions given already.

Use call out extensions and sitelink extensions and any other relevanat extensions on your ads. If profitable (and if the cost per conversion does not get worse after the change), then increase the max bid for converting keywords, especially knowing your keywords are average or better QS, the idea being to get a higher position for your ads.

Also try other keywords to target your users better, in particular those who may be closer to buying (like you can add "overnight shipping" to the end of an existing keyword).

In short:

Reduce impressions by using negative keywords, more targeted keywords, change keyword match type as needed, etc.

Increase clicks by improving ad copy, have your ad ranked # 1, use relevant ad extensions, etc.