AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to hide outgoing keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello.

I need to know if is possible to hide or encrypt my outgoing clicks from ours campaigns.

The issue is that we DONT want to give to our clients the information of what  keywords we are bidding.

Many of our clients decided to makes theirs owns campaigns, after detecting what keywods we are buying.  This is not good because to get the perfect campaigns, we need time, investing money, experience, etc. 

So is not good that after all big effort, our clients detects what we keywords we are bidding.

Actually, the only way to send traffic to them is directly to theirs own landing pages. There is no way to use ours.

Thanks in advance.

Isadora.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to hide outgoing keywords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Isadora.

The easiest way to "encrypt" them is to set your AdWords account to auto-tag your destination URLs.

But then you'll need to use Google Analytics to "decrypt" them in order to see what worked and what didn't, because other Analytics solutions do not communicate with AdWords via the click ID (the gclid parameter). Analytics can share data with AdWords, since they're both Google products.

Here's how to auto-tag your destination URLs: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752125?hl=en

But please note that a simple search on Google, or a test with the Ad Preview Tool for certain search terms can reveal the fact that you are buying keywords that trigger those search terms. Maybe they won't know the match type and everything, but they know your ads trigger for "blue widgets".

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Calin.

Thanks for your soon reply. I heard about auto-tag destination urls.

What happen if my client already have Google Analytics?

This is what google says regarding auto-tag:

"Google Analytics and similar programs can use the information in auto-tagged URLs to tell you which AdWords keywords brought a visitor to your site, which campaign that keyword was from, and how much that click cost."

Also I understand what you say about that my clients can manually look for what search terms I am bidding, but that is s hard way to do it for them. But now, they have access to each click information to theirs landing pages, so is very easy.

What happens if they have Google Analytics? Do they decrypt the url and get the information?

Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello.

If your client already has Google Analytics, that's great. All you need to do is link Google AdWords and Google Analytics and they'll have access to all the AdWords data inside Google Analytics (and some Analytics data in AdWords).

Here's how to link the accounts: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704341?hl=en

As for your second question, the landing pages are on your website, using your Google Analytics account number and all the data is accessible to you alone. Competition does not have access to your data. And they cannot decrypt the URL which is hosted on your website (as a matter of fact they cannot decrypt anything from the Google click ID even using their own URLs).
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Calin.

"f your client already has Google Analytics, that's great." Thats the point, I DON'T want they see my bidding if they have Google Analytic or other program to decrypt the URL.

So, you say the only way to they can do it if I link my adwords account with their google analytic? if not, do they can decrypt the url and get info?

Thanks Again.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Isadora, I got it all completely wrong. I understood competition instead of client. So you don't want your client to see AdWords information in Analytics.

Then you can unlink AdWords and Analytics https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033961?hl=en and make sure that the Analytics user your customer uses does not have access to the AdWords account (but I assume they don't). If you don't need to see AdWords data in Analytics at all, irrespective of the users, you may also disable auto-tagging.

Also, make sure to avoid sending keywords in URLs as utm parameters, because if you do, they might see that data.

Sorry again for not reading more carefully.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am afraid that is not the solution. All my accounts have DISABLE as default the Auto-Taggin. Always is OFF.

Also, my adwords account is NOT linked into their analytics.

Any ways, I have access to theirs servers stats and I can see LONG encrypt url, but they have the Keyword at the end of it.

For example, I can see this

http://dp.g.doubleclick.net/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=dp-nameadmin13_3ph_js&channel=0000...Rent%20Car%20Italy%20Online&afdt=CpUBChMIs7-czKPFvAIVC8XlCh2uDABgEAMYASAHUKzLoAFQpJriBlDd_5gPUK3R1w9Q-721EVCzw-URUMGh

In BOLD are the KW I am bidding. If you make click on the links, it doesnt works. But its been shown from theirs server stats and also I know that other website counters also extract the keywords and they are showinf them in last url referral.

So, it's easy to extract ALL the Keywords that I am bidding.

This is from my adwords account

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 12.11.25 PM.png

And this is other example that shows how addfreestats.com counters is NOW showing them.

Screen Shot 2014-03-02 at 12.14.16 PM.png

As you can see, the Keyword is "Vendo cada en Santa Anita"

I am very confused on how to BLOCK sending my Keywords Biddings informations.

Adwords should have a solution for this.

Thanks.

Mat

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I am afraid that is not the solution. All my accounts have DISABLE as default the Auto-Taggin. Always is OFF.

Also, my adwords account is NOT linked into their analytics.

Any ways, I have access to theirs servers stats and I can see LONG encrypt url, but they have the Keyword at the end of it.

For example, I can see this

http://dp.g.doubleclick.net/apps/domainpark/domainpark.cgi?client=dp-nameadmin13_3ph_js&channel=0000...Rent%20Car%20Italy%20Online&afdt=CpUBChMIs7-czKPFvAIVC8XlCh2uDABgEAMYASAHUKzLoAFQpJriBlDd_5gPUK3R1w9Q-721EVCzw-URUMGh

In BOLD are the KW I am bidding. If you make click on the links, it doesnt works. But its been shown from theirs server stats and also I know that other website counters also extract the keywords and they are showinf them in last url referral.

So, it's easy to extract ALL the Keywords that I am bidding.

This is from my adwords account

And this is other example that shows how addfreestats.com counters is NOW showing them.

As you can see, the Keyword is "Vendo cada en Santa Anita"

I am very confused on how to BLOCK sending my Keywords Biddings informations.

Adwords should have a solution for this.

Thanks.

Mat

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
The long URL you've previously posted is the referrer URL, which is logged by the webserver. You cannot change that and what you've highlighted there is not the keyword but rather the search query. You cannot stop that from showing in the referral URL, unfortunately.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, there is no way to hide the traffic source from what we are bidding.

Google should take a decision on this and allow advertiser to block this information that comes from Paid Traffic.

People are getting smart on this and is not good to loose a client because he understand how to create a good performing campaign after VERY hard work on ours hands.

Show organic traffic is ok, but paid traffic is not ok.

I will start developing some script to sale to my customers that easy organice my adverting structure top performing campaigns! Smiley Happy

lolol

Calin, if you think any solution for this, please send me a msj

Anywyas, thank 4 your time!