AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to handle two-word Words and BM/BMM?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Words like New York are throwing me off since it's made up of two words. I'm puzzled by the following:

1) How do I set the following keyword correctly as BMM: +cool +widgets +[New York]

Do I type in the keyword exactly as it appears above, including the + signs and the brackets?

Or do I use quotation marks around New York ie. "New York" instead of [New York]?

The point here is that I want to make sure that New York is seen as a phrase and not two seperate words.

2) If someone searches cool widgets NY, will this match +cool +widgets +[New York] since from my understanding abbrevations are considered close variations which broad match will match out to?

3) Is it possible to combine BM and BMM, like this: cool +widgets

Does this make cool BM and widgets BMM?

4) Lastly, if I type in keword: cool +widgets "New York" [right now]

How would Google read this? Can you combine BM, BMM, PM, and EM together like this?

Thanks for the help!

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How to handle two-word Words and BM/BMM?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Crux of all your questions

You can not combine match types like you gave examples of combining phrase with bmm and exact with bmm. It is incorrect.

Yes you can combine broad and bmm but you really need to look at the kind of quries get trigger. Broad match can trigger lot of irrelevant queries and broad match modifier helps refine queries. When we add +sign in front of any term, this and close variants of this term should be included in user search to trigger your ad.

For example:
cool +red +widget is the keyword you added. Cool will work as broad match type and can trigger for cool or any related word. Red and widget will work like broad match modifier and should be their in your query.

Broad and BMM: 1. I prefer BMM in most of the cases, Since this match type launched I minimaly use Broad match type.

2. Either I use broad match or broad match modifier in my campaigns.

3. I don prefer mixing match type.

I hope above explaination is not confusing and you got the answer Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just to clarify the issue of "mixing" both  the classic "broad match" with BMM. This could be done. In this case the indicates that the word must be included in the search query to match the keyword. (And to trigger the ad if wins the auction when ads ranked)

For example, if the keywords is "learning +courses +english"  - both  courses and English must be in in the search query to match the keyword. However a query "teaching English courses" might also match the keyword  (and trigger the ad if wins the auction) since teaching is a synonym of learning. (BM includes synonyms).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Alex K,

Welcome to the forum,

"+cool +widgets +[New York]" is not a correct order.You can not use different match type combination for a keyord.In your case you can use is as " +cool +widgets".This will trigger you ads for the following searches :
cool widgets new york
cool widgets ny

Its also possible that your ad will show when someone searches without the location term.If you only want to show your ad when someone searches with the location,then you can try this:

+cool +widgets +new +york
+cool +widgets +ny

2) If someone searches cool widgets NY, will this match +cool +widgets +[New York] since from my understanding abbrevations are considered close variations which broad match will match out to?

No, it will not show your ad for the keyword "Cool Widgets New York"

3) Is it possible to combine BM and BMM, like this: cool +widgets

No its not possible to combine different match type as i mentioned earlier.

I will encourage you to follow the link to get an overview of Keyword Match Type

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Shuva,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions.

After doing some more research, it looks like you may be mistaken on at least 1 point:

3) Is it possible to combine BM and BMM, like this: cool +widgets

From Google:

"To create a broad match modifier, just add a plus symbol (+) in front of one or more words in your broad match keyword."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497702?hl=en&ref_topic=3122868

I'd love to get feedback from others, anyone else?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Alex

I guess what Google is trying to say is that,if your keyword consists of one word or more words,we are allowed to use BMM in both the cases.
For eg: If your keyword is widgets,then you can use BMM i.e +widgets,and also if your keyword consists of two or more words like cool widgets ny,then also we can use BMM i.e +cool +widgets +ny.

As pointed out by Shuva,I think we cannot mix both the match types.

Thanks
Aritra Mukherjee
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Crux of all your questions

You can not combine match types like you gave examples of combining phrase with bmm and exact with bmm. It is incorrect.

Yes you can combine broad and bmm but you really need to look at the kind of quries get trigger. Broad match can trigger lot of irrelevant queries and broad match modifier helps refine queries. When we add +sign in front of any term, this and close variants of this term should be included in user search to trigger your ad.

For example:
cool +red +widget is the keyword you added. Cool will work as broad match type and can trigger for cool or any related word. Red and widget will work like broad match modifier and should be their in your query.

Broad and BMM: 1. I prefer BMM in most of the cases, Since this match type launched I minimaly use Broad match type.

2. Either I use broad match or broad match modifier in my campaigns.

3. I don prefer mixing match type.

I hope above explaination is not confusing and you got the answer Smiley Happy

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alex K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Just to clarify the issue of "mixing" both  the classic "broad match" with BMM. This could be done. In this case the indicates that the word must be included in the search query to match the keyword. (And to trigger the ad if wins the auction when ads ranked)

For example, if the keywords is "learning +courses +english"  - both  courses and English must be in in the search query to match the keyword. However a query "teaching English courses" might also match the keyword  (and trigger the ad if wins the auction) since teaching is a synonym of learning. (BM includes synonyms).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Ohhh. @Neha Gupta and I posted at the same minute...  Smiley Happy

You got the same answer  twice... Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
@Neha & @Moshe TLV: Thanks for the clarification..

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
Hi Alex K,

You might consider geo-targeting New York, instead of adding it to your keywords. Google will recognize the geo-modifiers in the search query and still match your BMM, phrase and exact match keywords that do not include those modifiers.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete,

What if New York is used as an adjective, like let's say I want to target BMM searches for fast new york pizza in Los Angeles? Since I can't do fast +"new york" +pizza then I have to settle for fast +new +york +pizza, correct?