AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to handle seperate keywords with similar wording?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm confused as to how Adwords will handle seperate keywords with some of the same wording or ommited wording. For example, the Google Keyword tool gives me "how to design a website" and "design a website." Wouldn't "how to design a website" bring the same results as broad-matched "design a website"? Do they conflict in any way?

Other examples:

web design

best web design

or

web designer

find a web designer

etc, etc

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to handle seperate keywords with similar wording?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi duffman40,

Google will try to match the search query to the closest keyword in your list. Let's look at your examples.

"How to design a website" and "design a website" could indicate a different intent of the user. "How to design a website" probably indicates the user wants to design the web site herself while "design a website" could be a use looking for help designing the web site. Now, if you were a web site designer, you would not want the click form the user whose intent is to build their own web site, so you might want to include "how to design a website" as a negative keyword in either exact or phrase match or both.

I would caution you against using broad match, instead use broad match modified, you add plus signs in front of keywords that must be present. You can't use BMM as a negative match.

You may find that "find a web designer" performs better than "web designer". In that case, you would watn to bid higher on the better performing keyword.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords