AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to handle seperate keywords with similar wording?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm confused as to how Adwords will handle seperate keywords with some of the same wording or ommited wording. For example, the Google Keyword tool gives me "how to design a website" and "design a website." Wouldn't "how to design a website" bring the same results as broad-matched "design a website"? Do they conflict in any way?

Other examples:

web design

best web design

or

web designer

find a web designer

etc, etc

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How to handle seperate keywords with similar wording?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi duffman40,

Google will try to match the search query to the closest keyword in your list. Let's look at your examples.

"How to design a website" and "design a website" could indicate a different intent of the user. "How to design a website" probably indicates the user wants to design the web site herself while "design a website" could be a use looking for help designing the web site. Now, if you were a web site designer, you would not want the click form the user whose intent is to build their own web site, so you might want to include "how to design a website" as a negative keyword in either exact or phrase match or both.

I would caution you against using broad match, instead use broad match modified, you add plus signs in front of keywords that must be present. You can't use BMM as a negative match.

You may find that "find a web designer" performs better than "web designer". In that case, you would watn to bid higher on the better performing keyword.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords