AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to geotarget an an existing campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an existing campaign that's targeting the US but my boss notified me that she wants Louisiana targeted... For sake of efficiency, should I just scrap the campaign and start over with Louisiana targeted- or create a separate campaign with an adjusted budget? What if I simply adjusted the hours they are shown? Help!

4 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeremy S
September 2015

Re: How to geotarget an an existing campaign?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Jeremey,

Splitting the campaigns to allocate a specific budget for LA is a perfectly fine strategy. Do not forget to exclude LA from your genereal US campaign.

Having duplicate keywords in two ad groups in the same campaign or in 2 campaigns that target the same area can be problematic as you don't know which of the groups/campaigns will get the impression. In this case, you are using duplicate keywords but targteting different geographic areas. That's not going to be a problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

Does your boss want Lousiana targeted exclusively or will the US still be included in the targeting?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
No, LA won't be exclusive...

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Probably the simplest way to do this would be to duplicate the US camapign in AdWords Editor and then set the geo target for the "new" version to LA.

Then go back to the original campaign and exclude LA  - et voila!

Now you can make whatever LA specific settings changes you want.

Not applicable
# 5
Not applicable
This is what I thought but I was weary as AdWords doesn't recommend you duplicate keywords across campaigns... This method wouldn't go against this recommendation, correct?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Jeremy, how are the Campaigns going to differ from each other?

I ask because if the existing Campaign already includes LA, it's already being targeted.  If your Account is running at a profit, you should already be taking 100% of the impression share, in which case simply targeting as a separate Campaign won't help.  If you wasn't your Ads to be State specific that should apply to all States, not just LA.  If the Campaign isn't running at a profit, why are running it at all?

Sorry, I just can't work out where doing what you're planning would make sense.  Should you be looking at location bid adjustments ?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Not applicable
# 7
Not applicable

Hi Cobnut,

The Campaigns aren't going to differ from each other at all. It's not about simply running a profit, but optimizing 100% which is what we're hoping to do by diverting more spend to a Campaign targeting LA and leaving a reduced budget for a Campaign including other states. I'm just weary about duplicate keywords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jeremy S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Jeremey,

Splitting the campaigns to allocate a specific budget for LA is a perfectly fine strategy. Do not forget to exclude LA from your genereal US campaign.

Having duplicate keywords in two ad groups in the same campaign or in 2 campaigns that target the same area can be problematic as you don't know which of the groups/campaigns will get the impression. In this case, you are using duplicate keywords but targteting different geographic areas. That's not going to be a problem.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi, you've kind of missed my point, but I'll try one more time anyway.

Are you saying you're running a Brand Awareness Campaign; that ROI is not a factor here?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits