Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to exclude multiple (Included location names) from search terms

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Let's say that I am Targeting Ireland for a "service" but I do not want visitors searching for this service from the Area of London or the included smaller regions or cities of London. I want to exclude ""People .. searching for.....my excluded location" , such as to match the excluded location with the search terms.

I will be using the exclusion setting "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location (recommended)" , and I have added from UK the exclusion from a large area such as the one below with a reach of 59 milion .

london-area2.png

Now if someone types the search term "Service from London" from Ireland he/she should not see my Ads because the excluded location name is in the search term, right ?

But what happens if a user types "Service from Dartford" ( a location I highlighted with a white rectangle) because Dartford is as a location included in the larger excluded location ?

Will the Ads show to these Searchers or will Ads be also blocked because Dartford belongs the the "excluded location area" ?

An answer to this problem will solve the following : If included smaller locations can be automatically excluded from search terms, I will no longer have to make long lists of negative keywords with cities.

I can simply add as an exclusion a large area, and if the search term includes any city from the large area, Ads will not show, just as if I have added the smaller cities as negative keywords.

I hope I have described the problem clear enough. Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: How to exclude multiple (Included location names) from search term

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Your description was very clear! Although I couldn't find any Google documentation that describes how it works, when I excluded the state of Illinois from my campaign it also stopped showing for search terms that included the city Chicago. So from my experience, you shouldn't have to exclude all of the smaller locations.

I would just exclude London for now and then check your search term report after a few weeks to be sure.

Great question and I'd love to know if anyone finds a definitive answer from Google!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Adrian ;

In principle you are correct;

Now, here comes the reality: whether the system could identify all locations within a radius, and whether IP addresses  of small locations are assigned by the ISPs to the physical location, or to a  far away location.

Here it gets complicated further: depending on the territory;

If you were to exclude a zip code within a radius in the US - I would say it should work. (Within the limitations. Sometimes a small town gets an IP address of the nearby bigger town).

In Europe Geo targeting  is far from being perfect. (Unless using a mobile device with GPS active). In Europe, targeting by circles is not perfect, and not all locations are recognized by the system.  (There are many reasons for that - mainly investment in telecom infrastructure).

A rule of thumb:

• For Geo location exclusion:  exclude small locations in Europe as negative KWs. .
  • For Geo targeting:  include them as part of the KW if you want to target them (though; as said; in theory this is a redundancy.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Adrian,

Your description was very clear! Although I couldn't find any Google documentation that describes how it works, when I excluded the state of Illinois from my campaign it also stopped showing for search terms that included the city Chicago. So from my experience, you shouldn't have to exclude all of the smaller locations.

I would just exclude London for now and then check your search term report after a few weeks to be sure.

Great question and I'd love to know if anyone finds a definitive answer from Google!

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bethany !

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Adrian ;

In principle you are correct;

Now, here comes the reality: whether the system could identify all locations within a radius, and whether IP addresses  of small locations are assigned by the ISPs to the physical location, or to a  far away location.

Here it gets complicated further: depending on the territory;

If you were to exclude a zip code within a radius in the US - I would say it should work. (Within the limitations. Sometimes a small town gets an IP address of the nearby bigger town).

In Europe Geo targeting  is far from being perfect. (Unless using a mobile device with GPS active). In Europe, targeting by circles is not perfect, and not all locations are recognized by the system.  (There are many reasons for that - mainly investment in telecom infrastructure).

A rule of thumb:

• For Geo location exclusion:  exclude small locations in Europe as negative KWs. .
  • For Geo targeting:  include them as part of the KW if you want to target them (though; as said; in theory this is a redundancy.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Moshe, thanks for the additional Info. It is true that the physical location is a little not perfect, but the system has a list of inner locations from a larger location, and for identifying small locations from search terms to exclude them, I think it works.

If we exclude a large area from the "Advanced location targeting" , I know visitors phisically located in that area will be excluded ( more or less if the system detects their location correctly). But I wanted to know if the "Search by intent" , or the exclusion of smaller location names from within that area works or not from search terms.

Let's say that I am excluding a large US state like Alaska with the setting "People in, searching for, or viewing pages about my excluded location". How many cities are there in Alaska ? According to this wikipedia article: link , around 350 location names are included in that state .

My dillema was : is this exclusion preventing Ads from appearing for "search terms" which include any of the inner 350 location names , even if I excluded only 1 large area as a location name ? In theory it should as the setting is "People ....searching for......my excluded location" , but it is not explained if the setting covers something like this "People ....searching for......any cities or postal codes from my excluded location" .

Why am I asking this question ? Because I was intrigued by this user posting in message  3

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/advanced-location-options/m-p/307197/highl...

"Is the negative keyword route the only way?"

My answer would now be : there is an alternative to excluding many cities,this is  to exclude a large location and all the inner smaller locations would also be excluded from the "search terms", even if the inner cities are not in a negative keywords list.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Adrian;

When you exclude a region, it should exclude all locations /cities within this targeted region. So, if a user search by intent for a service in a given  city, within the excluded area, the ad should not appear.

The system has a list of locations with each targeted region. (See below)

However; this work pretty well in the US up to a city level. (I checked for  a few small locations - they are listed)

For the rest of the world, this is not as simple. In the example you linked, Uxbridge, UK is not listed within the greater London area, and hence cannot be excluded as a location.  You'll have to exclude it by adding it as a negative keyword. On the other hand, Windsor, Epsom and Croydon are all  listed within the greater London area.

The full list of locations in each country, could be accessed and downloaded using the API.

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

Since this sepcisic case (linked)  is about a region in  the UK, (The Midlands)  the best approach  would be to target the Midlands (people in, searching for..) as a region (Midlands is listed as a targeted region), and exclude as negative KWs, specific locations  within the Midlands (which the user does not wish to target  - if there are any)

Let me know if you want me to chime into the discussion you linked.

-Moshe

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes please chime in there as I have already presented my approach and apparently will not work well for the list of location names from UK.

I find the API list very relevant , it is not easy to guess by intuition what list of locations the system can block from search terms when the "exclude by intent" is used.

Thanks for having the patience to clarify this issue with me. I appreciate the extra knowledge I have gained on this ocasion.