AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to evaluate data freshness for audiences ?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have answered to a recent case where a person imported audiences from analytics, 14 days have gone by and yet he sees no numbers in the majority of the audiences. For example analytics shows him an "estimate" of over 100 visitors yet adwords shows nothing.

Can we have some estimates for the data freshness regarding audiences in various situations ? 

I know this very useful page : link , but it contains no such details.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Re: How to evaluate data freshness for audiences ?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Adrian,

This isn't really a question of data freshness; it's more an issue of the Analytics estimate and the remarketing audience size that pulls into AdWords being two different things. Here's what I mean:

The "Get Estimate" button is intended only to provide a general idea of the number of visitors to your site who match the criteria you've defined for your list. The estimate is NOT the current size of the remarketing list as reported in AdWords (this is the actual current number of users on the list). The estimate is calculated by looking at the number of Unique Visitors to your site for the past 7 days matching the list criteria.

The list will obviously start off with 0 users added, and add users day on day, so soon after creation the list will have FEWER users than the estimate, and longer after creation the list may have MORE users than the estimate (depending on the membership duration).

Not all of Unique Visitors to your website will have third-party cookies enabled. Their eligibility for remarketing relies on this. Since Analytics uses first-party cookies for visitor tracking, and third-party cookies for remarketing list addition, the estimate may include visitors who cannot be added to the list.

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Great information to know and bookmark , thanks.
In that particular case it was weird that he filtered in analytics audiences based on visitors from Locations , these showed up with zero in adwords and 4 other analytics Audiences with visitors filtered by Language showed up in adwords even when they had 24 visitors. His conclusion was that it is an issue with filtering audiences by location in Analytics. Could this have been a problem ?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adrian B
September 2015

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
It's hard to say exactly without looking at his account. But the biggest thing to note is that the Analytics cookie and remarketing cookie are different, so they're not going to show the same numbers.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes this is what I told him too, hard to tell without looking into account, I redirected him to call Google local support. Thread can be found here :

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Empty-remareketing-lists-after-importing-t...

In the second picture in his first message 10 audiences out of 14 are made with a Location filter and had 0 visitorsin AdWords, but he provided an example where had an estimate of over 100 in analytics. I think the cookies could have rarely caused a 100% difference between adwords and analytics, but a difference could have been, it is clearly explained now.