Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to estimate search market share and expected CPCs

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm interested in finding out how much search market share I have for a particular category. My first step was simply going into Auction Insights in AW and seeing my impression share for that, but then is that different from search market share?

My next plan is using AW's Keyword Planner and other 3rd party tools, to see how much the entire (local/US) search market share I have (ie: if I'm seeing that there's 10,000 monthly searches and I have 2,000 searches in a month = 20% search market share). 

First off is this an appropriate way of calculating this #? I'm also wondering which keywords to use - do I go about all the keywords related to that category or just the highest traffic generating one? For example, let's say for a single campaign I have thousands of keywords that have a complex mix of long/short tail keywords that are grouped to a particular theme (ie: destination weddings, cheap destination weddings, destination weddings in hawaii - I think you can figure out what the category/theme is here) - do I just measure against the search volume for 'destination wedding' (5,400 local monthly searches found in Spyfu), or do I include the whole breadth of keywords? If it's the latter - how can I go about that? 

On a side note, as I'm researching the categories I compete/advertise in I'm noticing a very common CPC trend across the board.. From most expensive to cheapest it goes Broad, Phrase then Exact. Makes sense (although experts suggest tiering bids the opposite because you want to pay the most for qualified Exact terms). But for one particular keyword/category I'm finding that it flips and the actual CPC for Exact is actually the most expensive. What's the rationale behind that?

Re: How to estimate search market share and expected CPCs

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johnny,

I suppose you are actually looking for Impression share of your campaigns i.e. out of total number of impressions availabel on a keyword how much percentage you are getting? This can be identified at Campaign/Ad Group level by inserting the columns for Impression share.

When you see the Impression share percentage is low then you can increase it by pushing your bids, increasing your daily budget, increasing the quality score of your keywords and improving the ads relevancy/quality.

I would recommend to start with small set of keywords and based on the performance of those keywords expand it further and also discard the non-performing ones (at least for the time being). And rather than going with highest traffic generating keywords, better go with medium traffic generating keywords. If you are able to achieve your ROI then you can always target highest traffic generating keywords.

It is recommended to give highest CPC to exact match and lower to Phrase and then Broad match. Reason being, if you give high CPC to Broad or Phrase match keywords your ad may start mapping with a wide range of keywords which can inflate your cost a lot without bringing you results, which you wouldn't want to do. And bidding higher on Broad and Phrase match keywords can also start conflicting with other exact match keywords running in your account i.e. few of your exact match keywords can start triggering from those Broad or Phrase match keywords as the CPC is higher there and Google will always give preference to show the keywords where it feels it can spend more.

Hope it helps! Feel free to ask more questions Smiley Happy

Regards,
Ashish

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ashish,

I was actually posing the simple question of whether impression share is an appropriate way of measuring search market share. Do you have any suggestions on how to measure search market share not using impression share and rather monthly searches data against my traffic?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johnny,

Yes, according to me, impression share is an appropriate way of measuring search market share. In keyword planner tool we get avg. monthly searches for keywords, this is what we call the impressions available in our targeted market for the keywords searched and impression share reports tell us the percentage we are getting out of that available searches/impressions.

But the numbers shown in keyword planner tool or any other third party tool are not accurate and can never be. It just gives us a fair idea about the keyword searches.

Also read this useful article:
http://www.ppchero.com/what-ppc-impression-share-really-tells-you/

Does it help?

Regards,
Ashish

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Ashish. I forgot to mention but in terms of 'search market share' I'd be interest in finding out how much coverage I have for the market for both paid and organic - hence why impression share wouldn't be a good measure because it only accounts for paid impressions.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Johnny,

Well, according to me, it is difficult to know the overall search market share available for any industry but you can only see your coverage through Google Analytics. But again, that too doesn't make the things clear because we don't know the overall market share.

I would also be interested in knowing about this and request the experts here, if they have any idea about it.

Regards,
Ashish