AdWords
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to do basic keyword/match types research??? Please help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I can really see the benefit with the new planner tool, which is great when I get to the point of setting up an adwords campaign... although at this time I am only researching keywords for search/traffic estimates.  For the life of me I cannot find an easy way to switch between 'Match Types' like in the old system??? I want to throw some keywords in of my own and have Google make suggestions too, then filter down using exact match types or phrase match and hopefully find some more good keywords that might suggested.

How do you do this now please??? I have watched the video from google/adwords but I'm sure there have been updates since this?! Hope this makes sense!

Thanks for your help,

Steve

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve L
September 2015

Re: How to do basic keyword/match types research??? Please help!

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Seve L, 

With Keyword Tool, you had the ability to see broad match statistics by default. You were able to get the data for other match types. But with Keyword Planner, you can see the statistics only for exact match.

The best thing to do with this scenario is:

Add the keyword idea to your plan and review the traffic estimates for each match type. This change will help you get an accurate estimate of how much traffic you can expect to get with different match types. 

Hope that helps.

Best, 

Mini

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Steve,

Yes, that's correct new keyword planner always defaults to exact match type search volumes. As Mini suggested you can add your keywords and see traffic estimates for different match types.

Happy learning.

KC

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Seve L, 

With Keyword Tool, you had the ability to see broad match statistics by default. You were able to get the data for other match types. But with Keyword Planner, you can see the statistics only for exact match.

The best thing to do with this scenario is:

Add the keyword idea to your plan and review the traffic estimates for each match type. This change will help you get an accurate estimate of how much traffic you can expect to get with different match types. 

Hope that helps.

Best, 

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Mini,

Thank you so much for your reply! So basically what you are saying is the new Keyword Planner always defaults to [Exact] match type, is that correct???

If so that is fine, as long as I know this as I will be searching mostly for exact matches I think.

Thanks,
Steve
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Steve,

Yes, that's correct new keyword planner always defaults to exact match type search volumes. As Mini suggested you can add your keywords and see traffic estimates for different match types.

Happy learning.

KC

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Steve,

You can use the include/exclude feature in the Keyword Planner to customize your keyword search and refine it more.

Thanks