AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to divide an existing Ad Group into two?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

When we initially setup the Ad Groups we grouped two separate things together....(brakes and clutch)...

We have created a new Group for Clutch but how do we now move the Ads, keywords etc to a new Group?

The AdWords explanation here is impossible to follow...

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/32921?hl=en

Your help is appreciated

Regards

2 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jean,

There should be a check box next to each keyword.

Check the box of each keyword/advert you want to move and once you've selected all of them, go to Edit > Copy.

Navigate to the new ad group and go to Edit > Paste.

Then fall back to the old ad group and pause anything that needs pausing.

Hope this helps,

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Jean L,

The link that you have mentioned includes the process of moving keywords from one ad group to another through AdWords Editor.

@Matthew L, has suggested you the method to move the keywords through AdWords UI.

If you want to get rid of selecting keywords 1 by 1 then download the keywords of that ad group in Excel .csv, use text filters and copy all the keywords related to either brakes or clutches and paste then in the new ad group.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Archit,

Thanks for your reply...

The link I mentioned shows certain things that simply don't exist in the view of the Editor - see below...

"In the type list, click Keywords and targeting > Keywords, then select one or more keywords in the data view."

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Matthew L,

Should I leave the keywords and ads in place on the old ad group until the new ad group is approved?

Regards

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Jean L

I would agree that the instructions are a little difficult to follow. Here's what I would suggest:

1. In AdWords Editor, open the account and in the top left panel, select your campaign.

2. In the lower left panel, click Ad Groups - they will now appear in the right window.

3. Double click on the Brakes and clutch ad group in the right window.

4. Now that you've selected that one ad group, the lower left panel should only show the Keywords and targeting and Ads for that ad group.

5. In the lower left panel, open the Keywords and targeting drop down, click Keywords - they will now appear in the right window.

6. Highlight (hold Ctrl and click) any keywords you want to copy to the new Clutch ad group then right-click and select Copy (or Ctrl +C).

7. In the top left panel, click on the Clutch ad group, it will open in the right window.

8. In the right window, right-click in the blank space and select Paste (or Ctrl +V). 

You can do the same for Ads by opening the Ads drop down in the lower left panel.

In response to your other question, I would wait until the Clutch ad group's ads and keywords are no longer Pending Review before pausing the keywords in the Brakes and Clutch ad group. 

I hope that helps!

Allie 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Allie M,

Unfortunately I can't replicate what you suggest....I don't see what you see:

If I double click on the Ad Group, nothing changes in the lower left hand panel...those options you mention don't appear...

Is there a different view or version of the AdWords Editor that I should be using?

Regards

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Jean,

I'd recommend leaving the adverts and keywords in place until your others are approved, just so you don't miss out on any crucial traffic.

Badged Google Partner
# 9
Badged Google Partner

You have to take the time to learn Jean. Read the documentation, and experiment with the tools until you can figure it out. 

Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Tomhalejr,

That is the exact problem....I have read the documentation...spent 2 hours trying to find solutions before I came here....

The issue is I can't replicate what the documentation and what others here have recommended.....and yes I have spent ages trying to get it right...

Even though @AllieMargeson provided concise directions I am unable to replicate what he suggests...what would you do?

Regards