AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to decide about the performance of the keyword?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

If I have to decide the worst Keyword among a bunch, what criteria I should keep in mind? Should I consider the CTR or the cost KW has incurred? 

P.S Avg CPC and AVG Pos of Kws are also different for each Keyword.

Regards,

Richa

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RichaAgarwal
September 2015

Re: How to decide about the performance of the keyword?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you have a lot of clicks, 200-1000 (that's my personal gauge) and no conversions, then it's likely that the keyword will never convert on your existing landing page and you should either reconsider using it, or pause it/delete it for another time period.

When you're still in that learning period, the answer is... it depends. If the low CTR is lowering your quality score for that keyword, that may be the worst. But that's showing you that searchers are not finding your ad relevant. This ties nicely into the fact that keywords and ads need to be seen as tied. You might have a keyword with a lot of traffic and a lot of potential conversions, but your ad is so terrible, it doesn't get anyone to click and even see what you have to offer.

If you've got a high CTR and high quality score, the landing page may be terrible and produce no conversions, but that doesn't mean the keyword and ad combo is bad.

You cannot look at a keyword in isolation and make a decision on a single metric. Well, you can, but then you're just guessing.

Essentially, it all comes back to the value you place on a keyword after you've optimized the conversion rate, the click through rate, the quality score and the back end value you can attain. Once you've done all that, if you still can't get any conversions, it may be time to remove the keyword.

I say "may be time" because the waters muddy somewhat then after that when you start taking into account assisted conversions. Your keyword may have 1000 clicks and zero conversions, an OK CTR and an OK QS. On the surface, it may appear that this keyword is a poor performer, but the attribution reports may show that although it doesn't produce conversions directly, it contributes significantly to other conversions.

So to sum it all up, there's no one metric that you can use to determine if a keyword is bad or not. You have to look at all aspects of the auction and sales funnel to decide that for yourself.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Richa
The best way to decide is if the keyword is giving you a return on the money that you're spending on it.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Dave,

These KWs are not giving any conversions and I have to find out which is the worst among them. In this case what shall I consider?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RichaAgarwal
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you have a lot of clicks, 200-1000 (that's my personal gauge) and no conversions, then it's likely that the keyword will never convert on your existing landing page and you should either reconsider using it, or pause it/delete it for another time period.

When you're still in that learning period, the answer is... it depends. If the low CTR is lowering your quality score for that keyword, that may be the worst. But that's showing you that searchers are not finding your ad relevant. This ties nicely into the fact that keywords and ads need to be seen as tied. You might have a keyword with a lot of traffic and a lot of potential conversions, but your ad is so terrible, it doesn't get anyone to click and even see what you have to offer.

If you've got a high CTR and high quality score, the landing page may be terrible and produce no conversions, but that doesn't mean the keyword and ad combo is bad.

You cannot look at a keyword in isolation and make a decision on a single metric. Well, you can, but then you're just guessing.

Essentially, it all comes back to the value you place on a keyword after you've optimized the conversion rate, the click through rate, the quality score and the back end value you can attain. Once you've done all that, if you still can't get any conversions, it may be time to remove the keyword.

I say "may be time" because the waters muddy somewhat then after that when you start taking into account assisted conversions. Your keyword may have 1000 clicks and zero conversions, an OK CTR and an OK QS. On the surface, it may appear that this keyword is a poor performer, but the attribution reports may show that although it doesn't produce conversions directly, it contributes significantly to other conversions.

So to sum it all up, there's no one metric that you can use to determine if a keyword is bad or not. You have to look at all aspects of the auction and sales funnel to decide that for yourself.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave Smiley Happy