AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to deal with similar keywords across adgroups?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I am experiencing an issue where i am unsure of how to handle the similar keywords i have across ad groups in the same campaign . 
I have one campaign for a category of products and within this campaign i have a different adgroup for each sub-category of the campaign. 
I am using mainly exact match types and am using the keyword list of one adgroup as a negative list for the other adgroup and vice versa.
In most of the adgroups, my keywords are not triggering an ad as it's "triggering another ad with a similar keyword" , i am wondering how to first figure out which ad group would that be in, as i have 6 in that campaign, and how to handle it properly.
Also due to the use of the exact match type, i get a very limited traffic, but i am unsure of how to use phrase match or bmm and not steal traffic from another ad group with similar keywords?  

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: How to deal with similar keywords across adgroups?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Veronicca,

This is a typical situation when you try to replicate synonyms of your keywords across different ad groups. Reason being that exact and phrase matches are also going to target similar sounding keywords that might include synonyms and other variations.

Also note that the keyword that wins the ad auction is going to trigger an ad from your account, if there are multiple keywords with similar theme. Also read this important help center doc about how similar keywords match to search terms for more insights:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Veronicca,

This is a typical situation when you try to replicate synonyms of your keywords across different ad groups. Reason being that exact and phrase matches are also going to target similar sounding keywords that might include synonyms and other variations.

Also note that the keyword that wins the ad auction is going to trigger an ad from your account, if there are multiple keywords with similar theme. Also read this important help center doc about how similar keywords match to search terms for more insights:- https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Veronicca,

For exact match type, there is no need to use cross adgroup negatives as the ads will show only for the search query if it is exactly matching the keyword.
And you need to use BMM and phrase match to enhance the reach and traffic.
As you are not very familiar, better to start with phrase match where ads will be triggered for that particular phrase like exact, additionally there can be any combination or set of words pre or post the keyword in the user query.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

I don't think the ads are shown for synonyms also in exact match.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you very much for the reply.
My problem is that it isn't really synonyms , but variations of the product that have a particular distinctive feature that i am trying to emphasise on.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
That is my concern, when it comes to phrase match, that i am unsure of how to prevent stealing traffic across my other adgroups?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello,

Instead of the ad group level, have you tried structuring it at the campaign level i.e. adding the embedded negative keyword match types at the campaign level? If yes, what was the impact of that campaign in comparison to the campaign where you are adding the embedded negative keyword matches at the ad group level.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You need to use cross adgroup/campaign negatives in this case.
Example:
Adgroup 1:
"web designing"

Adgroup 2:
"Web designing services"

Now, you need to use "services" as negative in adgroup 1 to restrict the query related to this phrase only to adgroup 2.
But at the same time, you can use company, firm as negatives for adgroup 2.

Now, a query with phrase "web designing services" will trigger ads only from adgroup 2 and the query with the phrase "web designing company" will trigger ads from adgroup 1.

Hope you got it.

Regards

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I haven't , it's a completely new account i started a week ago.

So what you are suggesting (if i understand correctly) is that i create campaigns for these subcategories instead of ad groups, and then apply the same negative keywords?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thank you for the reply!
This is what i was trying to do, but i think my mistake was i was using the exact match type in the negatives which i think was my mistake?