2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to create a lot of Campaigns/AdGroups/Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is my first post, so... Hello AdWords advertisers!

I have a question about the best way to handle the following task.

I've been asked to create search ads for an online shoes e-commerce.

I was planning to create a campaign for each brand, then many adgroups for more specific queries...

Something like

Campaign: MyBrand

Adgroup1: Women-Boots

Ad: Checkout our MyBrand Boots - Women shoes. Free shipping over 50$.

keywords "Buy Women Boots", "Women Boots Sales"

Adgroup2: Man-Sneakers

Ad: Checkout our new MyBrand Sneakers - Man Shoes. 2 day delivery.

keywords "Buy Man Sneakers", "Man Sneakers Sales"

- Do you think this is a good way to structure my campaigns?

- Since it's a very long list of brands, and shoes types, and colors, etc... are you aware of any trick/tool to automatically generate the ads?

- Has anyone else had the same issue?

Hope to get some advice Smiley Happy

Many thanks

Stefano

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefano B
December 2015

Re: How to create a lot of Campaigns/AdGroups/Ad

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
The quickest way to do what you are asking, is with Adwords Editor. Using that you can copy and paste campaign and ad groups, the replace certain words and phrases with find and replace at scale. Just make sure you adjust destination URL's and use the right keywords (be careful when copying) Smiley Wink it is MUCH faster than creating all your ad groups in the Adwords interface.

https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/adwordseditor/

The best way to set up those sorts of Ads is similar to what you described:

Ad Healdine: Blue Nike CourtForce
Desc1: Browse Our Wide Nike Range.
Desc2: Save Up To 50% On Latest Styles.
Keywords: "blue nike courtforce" (phrase match)

As Archit says you can use DKI to insert the colours etc if you want to/ know how to do it! Make sure you are using the right keyword match types. And keep on top of your negative keyword lists. If you have ad groups for certain colours/brands you will want to add in the alternate colours and brands as negatives in those ad groups to stop wasted spend.

Also, if you are bidding for position 1 - 3 don't put "free shippping" etc in your ad text, its a waste of characters because you can use Callout extensions to do this! Smiley Happy https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375499?hl=en-GB

If you want any other advice, give me a shout on hangouts !

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Stefano,

Though PLs/Shopping is the best platform for E-commerce.
But if you want to go with the generic search ads then I think you have opted the right approach.
There is no need of further bifurcation on the basis of colours, you can target the colour with DKI (dynamic keywords Insertion)
Reference: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041

Also try to include brand in your keywords like " adidas man sneakers".
You can use ad extension including Call out extension, location extension, review extension, call extension for best performance.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Stefano,

Nice understanding of campaign and ad groups. Generally it is cumbersome to create ad groups for the set of 20-30 keywords but its best practice. If you have lost of keywords, brands, etc, you can go with Google Shopping campaign and Dynamic search ads. You should create both campaign types. This will really make your task easy.

If you have enough time to pick keywords according top brand and other metrics, make an excel sheet and upload them into Adwords.

Hope I helped you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Stefano B
December 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
The quickest way to do what you are asking, is with Adwords Editor. Using that you can copy and paste campaign and ad groups, the replace certain words and phrases with find and replace at scale. Just make sure you adjust destination URL's and use the right keywords (be careful when copying) Smiley Wink it is MUCH faster than creating all your ad groups in the Adwords interface.

https://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/adwordseditor/

The best way to set up those sorts of Ads is similar to what you described:

Ad Healdine: Blue Nike CourtForce
Desc1: Browse Our Wide Nike Range.
Desc2: Save Up To 50% On Latest Styles.
Keywords: "blue nike courtforce" (phrase match)

As Archit says you can use DKI to insert the colours etc if you want to/ know how to do it! Make sure you are using the right keyword match types. And keep on top of your negative keyword lists. If you have ad groups for certain colours/brands you will want to add in the alternate colours and brands as negatives in those ad groups to stop wasted spend.

Also, if you are bidding for position 1 - 3 don't put "free shippping" etc in your ad text, its a waste of characters because you can use Callout extensions to do this! Smiley Happy https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375499?hl=en-GB

If you want any other advice, give me a shout on hangouts !

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
There are some other considerations to make....

Firstly, think about the need to fully build out the campaigns. Ideally, if you are an online store, then a shopping campaign will be able to essentially build out your full inventory online for you... and then you can start thinking about the search campaigns... it might be worth looking to see which of your products sell best. Which have the biggest volumes and which have the best margins. Since very few businesses have infinite budgets, it is worth building out these "core" product lines first. After all, if you could increase the sales of your products that both sell well and give you the best margins, that's where you'd want to spend all your budget... if there isn't enough traffic on these products to fully spend the budget, then you can look to the next tier or products.

The thing is - you might spend hours building out campaigns for every product line you have and then find that most of them either get no traffic or generate no sales. This is the 80/20 rule in action. Concentrate your efforts and then spread out as things get rolling. You can them let your market determine when and how you should build out the different campaigns.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @Stefano B there's been some great advice in this thread so I'll try and stitch it all together...

Firstly as @Archit said, for physical products, you're likely to find that Shopping Campaigns give you the best performance and I'd always start with Shopping for such products these days.  Several of my clients who historically used Search are now only using Shopping because their performance far exceeds any other channel.

Secondly, as @sticklebax mentioned, I wouldn't start with all your products.  It is very likely that the range of products will have some that perform very well, others that don't perform at all, and a scale of everything in between.  I actually wrote an article about the 80/20 rule (the Pareto principle) recently:

https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Articles/Keywords-and-the-Pareto-Principle/ba-p/462688

I'd pick a relatively small number of your best selling products and use these initially for marketing.  Optimise the Campaigns for these and get to a stage where you're generating steady net profit, then expand your inventory (in order of popularity).  It's unlikely you'll ever have your entire inventory being advertised because some simply won't be profitable, so you can avoid a lot of wasted time (and money) by adding in smaller steps in this way.  Don't forget to review the performance of products already added.

Finally, as @Abbie R recommended, if you do use Search, the AdWords Editor is going to make your life a lot easier.  But I really wouldn't recommend Search as your first step.  Looking at your proposed structure, it makes good sense, but you may find you'll need to make your Ad Groups a lot "tighter" than you're currently suggesting so the list of Groups could become very large indeed.  For example, although "buy women boots" and "women boots sales" may seem closely related, you may find they'll actually attract quite different search queries and possibly customers with different intents, so they'd need to be in separate Ad Groups.

So, in summary, my advice would be to start with Shopping Campaigns, using a quite small selection of your best selling brands.  Once you've achieved profitability, add another selection of good selling brands and remember to review and remove non-profitable products previously added.  Once you have a steady net profit, it's then worth experimenting with Search but again I'd recommend doing so on only a small sub-set of your best selling products.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all your advice.

I will definitely give a try to Shopping campaign as many of you said.

Then probably I'll follow the @Jon_Gritton and @sticklebax strategy, by expanding my ads inventory on the basis of what products perform better...

On the technical side, I think I'll give a try to excel and the copy/paste feature of adwords editor... and see which is better for me.

Thanks again,

Stefano

PS.

Thank you @Abbie R for the callout extension hint!

How to create a lot of Campaigns/AdGroups/Ad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How can i create campaign