AdWords
7.1K members online now
7.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to copy ads in bulk from one campaign to another in Editor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I'm trying to copy all my ads from one campaign to another campaign in AdWords Editor. The campaigns are basically the same except for location targeting and keywords. I've tried exporting all the ads to an excel doc and importing it to the account, but the import either creates another new campaign or uploads all the ads into every single ad group. I'm simply trying to update the other campaign with new ads.

Is there a way to copy all my ads from one campaign to the other campaign in bulk? I could just copy the ads from ad group to the other campaign's ad group, but that would take forever.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

The easiest would probably be something like this. Select the source campaign in the account tree, select the ad type you want to transfer, do Account > Export > Export current view. The resulting CSV file would have campaign name, ad group name and all the ad columns - basically, the same data you see in the main grid.

Open the file in Excel, run Find and Replace to replace source campaign name with destination name everywhere (or just copy it into all rows in the Campaign column). In a similar way, adjust ad group names as necessary, if they don't line up perfectly between the two campaigns.

Finally, do Account > Import > From file and select the updated file. That should create all the same ads that existed in the source campaign, in the same-named ad groups of the destination campaign.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

You can also just copy/paste within Editor.  That's probably easier.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I agree with @Shanee_Kirk the copy/paste function within the interface works a treat. Select and copy your ads within the existing ad group and then go to the target ad group and paste... there are many functions that we used to need AWE for that are now incorporated into the interface and this is one of the best

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

With plain copy/paste, you'd have to copy each ad group-ful of ads separately, ad group by ad group; with lots of as groups, this might be impractical. If you copy the whole campaign's worth of ads at once, you'd lose structure - you won't be able to distribute them across ad groups in the destination campaign the same way they were distributed in the source campaign. Whereas CSV export/import preserves structure.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

OK - so how many ads are we talking about @Erika S ??