AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to change a display campaign's topics and targeting?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've created a display network campaign that in addition to geo targeting, uses topics and a remarking list.

Now that I've created the campaign, I can see where to edit the geo targeting but can't see any of the topics - in fact, I can't even confirm that the campaign is using the topics or the remarking list.

How do you view/edit/add these items to a campaign?

I've searched Google and found many help articles but can't see anything that will allow me to change the topics or the remarking.

Any help would be much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author CMSCSS
September 2015

Re: How to change a display campaign's topics and targeting?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi CMSCSS,

You can edit/add targeting methods from the Display Network tab.

Please find more information here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456531?hl=en

Deepak

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Awesome, thank heaps - I'm confused why Adwords states that the amount is too small for the display network. The site gets 1,200 - 2,000 people per day.

New Zealand is small so traffic to local sites is also small - does this mean that I can't use Remarketing on this site or does it mean that Remarketing is configured incorrectly?

It's using the GA tag and I see a green tick for the Remarketing Tag when in >Shared Library >Audiences

Thanks heaps,

Cheers

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

A remarketing list must have at least 100 active visitors within the last 30 days before you can show an ad to people on the list when they visit a Display Network site.

Are you using placements targeting with your remarketing campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"Are you using placements targeting with your remarketing campaign?"

Yes, that's what I'm trying to do but because Adword states "Too small to target for the Display Network" I also added some topics.

But after checking the amount of visitors each day, I guess I'm confused as to why Adwords is not using the website visitors remarketing list - ideally, I'd prefer to remove the topics and just use the remarketing list.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Or does it just mean that not enough people have visited since turning the list on?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
When you combine multiple targeting methods, the ads will only show when all the targeting methods criteria are satisfied. That is the reason why the system shows the warning 'the targeting is too small'

With remarketing, as you are only targeting people who previously visited your site, it will be better not to include other targeting methods with it (as it will narrow the reach of your ads further).

You can check the remarketing list size in the shared library. If you want to limit the exposure of your ads to unique users, you can use 'frequency capping'

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/117579?hl=en

Deepak

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Awesome, thanks heaps - have checked the list size and it's on at 18 so I'll have to wait before there's more people. Cheers