AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to best market my site with multiple niche products? Newbie here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am new to Adwords and just signed up here in this community. Thank You for allowing me to join you all.  

To be honest I am a little scared of the Adwords concept as I am investing funds and not knowing if I will be spending it effectively.(I am not sure if that's just me or if all newbies have this feeling?)  With that in mind I just launched my website this past January 2016. I have however been working on the content for that for the site for the past year so I do have a lot of time invested. I offer business plan templates for digital download in MS Word for example. Food Truck Business Plan Template, Coffee Shop Business Plan Template, Yoga Studio Business Plan Template etc. I have a limited budget (about $300) to launch and after watching Google Adwords Support Videos and Reading and researching for the past week I "think" I know how to do it. 

My question however is (keeping in mind my $300 budget) should I create a new campaign for each business plan template niche? For example Coffee Shop business plan template? Or should I create a general campaign for "Business Ideas" OR "Business Plan Templates" and then have each niche template topic as Adgroups? Or should I just focus on one business plan template topic for example Food Truck Business Plan Template and try to optimize for that and direct traffic to that one page first?

I hope that makes sense. I am really nervous about all of this and putting funds down without knowing if I will be doing it correctly so any type of advice will be appreciated. 

Thank You again,

Shawn

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shawn C
February 2016

Re: How to best market my site with multiple niche products? Newbie he

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shawn C,

Firstly, welcome to the community and I am really glad that you came here before getting started.

Given the small budget and Niche product I would advise that you create campaigns for each template as opposed to one campaign with various ad groups for each template. The reason being is that this will allow you to easily control budget between the various templates.

For example you might find there is a fair amount of traffic for your coffee template but it is not very high converting whereas your yoga template may be a great converter but very low volume. With different campaigns you can ensure that your Yoga campaign always has budget even if the Coffee campaign does not, if they were in the same campaign the Coffee ad group would consume all your daily budget and not leave any for your high converters.

I would include a generic "business Plan template" campaign as well but limit its budget, use this campaign as a data mining campaign that will help you determine exactly how users are searching and for what templates they are searching for, this will also help you to decide what templates you should be creating based on demand.

I would suggest targeting all templates to begin with as you have no real way of knowing whats out there with niche products such as this. keyword planner & Google trend do not do well with niche long tail terms, the best way to find where the traffic lies is to set it up and go. This does not mean do not do the research, always do the research first.

Given your tight budget though you need to be very specific with your keywords and I would avoid broad match all together (use Modified broad instead). Avoid open ended keywords that could match various other search queries, eg "business ideas" is a no go.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions

Good luck.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shawn C
February 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Shawn C,

Firstly, welcome to the community and I am really glad that you came here before getting started.

Given the small budget and Niche product I would advise that you create campaigns for each template as opposed to one campaign with various ad groups for each template. The reason being is that this will allow you to easily control budget between the various templates.

For example you might find there is a fair amount of traffic for your coffee template but it is not very high converting whereas your yoga template may be a great converter but very low volume. With different campaigns you can ensure that your Yoga campaign always has budget even if the Coffee campaign does not, if they were in the same campaign the Coffee ad group would consume all your daily budget and not leave any for your high converters.

I would include a generic "business Plan template" campaign as well but limit its budget, use this campaign as a data mining campaign that will help you determine exactly how users are searching and for what templates they are searching for, this will also help you to decide what templates you should be creating based on demand.

I would suggest targeting all templates to begin with as you have no real way of knowing whats out there with niche products such as this. keyword planner & Google trend do not do well with niche long tail terms, the best way to find where the traffic lies is to set it up and go. This does not mean do not do the research, always do the research first.

Given your tight budget though you need to be very specific with your keywords and I would avoid broad match all together (use Modified broad instead). Avoid open ended keywords that could match various other search queries, eg "business ideas" is a no go.

Feel free to reach out if you have any other questions

Good luck.

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Ok, this is funny because I would do the opposite of the other expert Smiley Happy))
I would create one campaign just for business plans, using dynamic keyword insertion for sub-types like Food Truck, Coffee Shop. I do both search and display network at first to gather performance data, and perhaps even target time of day during business hours only (though you never know, so you are experimenting before you 'open the tap').
Also I highly recommend you start a blog and network with other bloggers. Covering general topics that concerns customers who want your stuff.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You for the warm welcome, advice and guidance Clynton M. I really appreciate it.

The individual campaigns make sense so I can budget for each niche business plan template.

A few questions if I may ask.
1) If I include a generic "Business Plan Template" campaign will Google or Google Adwords tell me what was searched to get there? As per your example if I may ask how would I obtain the data on what type of "Business plan templates" people are searching for. I really like the idea but am not sure what data Google will provide or how to go about obtaining that data? Can you elaborate on that please?

2) Regarding the keywords would words like 2016 Coffee Shop Business Plan Template and do a modified broad? Or something like "$9.99 investor ready coffee shop business plan template"? I am just lost/all over the place with the keywords and how to best get right audience to view it.

3) Do you know if Google Adwords Support helps me set it up effectively helping me with keywords, negative keywords etc or do they only help with the basics? I plan on setting it up this later next week but wanted to know what information I should gather prior.

4) This is a and this a super newbie question but how do I make sure my budget stays in tact? Do I divide my max bid by 30 days? Or when setting it up there is a "cap" on the amount that can be billed? I just do not wish to go over my budget and not know it.

Thank You again for the advice and guidance Clynton M. Any information or help you can provide will be greatly apprecaited.
Shawn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Hoang P,
Thank you for your input on my Adwords setup.

To clarify you suggest I create one campaign for business plans and then Ad groups for my niche topics such as Coffee Shop, Yoga Studio, Food Truck etc. and see what type of traffic and conversions I get for each? Is this correct? So with my $300 budget I can budget $10/day and see what ads convert?

Newbie question but for the display Ads will I need to have the "banners" made? Would I be able to choose what size the banners are displayed and where?

Thank You again for your input, if you have any more detail or insight on how to best set this up it will be greatly appreciated.
Shawn

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Shawn,

1) This data will be given to you if a user clicked your ad or there are enough impressions on that search term that it warrants being shown. You can see all this data in the Search Terms Report. This report is the best place to also find negative terms for your campaigns and thus narrow in on your correct audience. Jut remember that with negatives there is no plurals or close variants so you will need to add each of these separately.

2) I would go more with the first one (+2016 +Coffee +Shop +Business +Plan +Template), the second is far to specific as a phrase match to get any traction at all.

3) AdWords support can be very helpful, I would suggest getting hold of them at any time and ask for assistance as needed.

4) With regards to budget, there are 2 tings that can be done. Firstly you would set a daily budget but keep in mind that AdWords can spend up to 20% more than the set daily budget but it will then under-spend on other days to make up that difference. At the end of the day it will never spend more than 30.5x your daily budget in a month. On top of this you can also create a hard cap on your monthly budget by setting up a budget order for the month. This will allocate a budget for you and your account will never spend more than that budget order, it is worth noting that this budget order does not affect pacing at all, so you can consume your monthly budget order in a day if your account is not set up correctly.

I hope that answers all your questions satisfactorily.

Good luck

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You Clynton,
This does help me greatly, I appreciate you following up on it. Here is an update on my progress that I wouldn't mind some input on if you are able to. It is a little discouraging and I am hoping I can tweak something to make adwords viable for me.

I just launched my first business plan template Adwords campaign yesterday for my food truck business plan template. I created 4 ads and only have had one Ad got one impression so far (no clicks or conversions):

Food Truck Business Plan
Investor Friendly Business Plan
Template For $9.99 Only. Buy Now!

And for the keywords I have a few "low search volume" and "rarely shown due to low quality score." keywords and my top keyword is "Food Truck Business Plan" had 19 impressions. Followed by "Business plan for food truck template" with 4 impressions but it also says ""rarely shown due to low quality score" So far no clicks and conversions.

I am doing search network only and manual CPC at .50.

A few questions if you dont mind:
1) How long should I wait to get any type of real results?

2) Is the enhanced CPC better than the manual one? I set my budget to $5.00/day and manual CPC at .50

3) Any suggestions on day 2 of my test to get more impressions and hopefully conversions?

Again Thank You for your input and helping me at the early stages.
Shawn