AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to avoid key words only when in opposite order?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am targeting a key phrase composed of 2 words, lets say: XXXX YYYY.

But if somebody writes the same key words, but in the opposite order (YYYY XXXX), this is not related to my business.

As far as I know, there is no combination that would be related to my business in which you could write another word in between my key words (XXXX zzzz YYYY), but yes it is possible that somebody would like to write more words before my key words (zzzz XXXX YYYY) or after this ones (XXXX YYYY zzzz).

It is also possible that somebody looking for my business would like to write the two key words without a space in between (XXXXYYYY).

It is worth mention that it would be not related to my business if somebody writes only one of this key words (XXXX or YYYY).

But somehow my ad is still showing in the cases that I want to avoid, so i'm doing something wrong. What should I avoid doing?

Should I avoid using the Broad Match with XXXX YYYY, right?

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Nestor,

In your case I would avoid using broad match. I would recommend using phrase match.

Your keyword would therefore look like so: "XXXXX YYYYY".

This would allow for the following search terms:

- zzzz XXXX YYYYY

- zzzz XXXX YYYYY zzzzz

- XXXX YYYYY zzzzz

However phrase match would not allow:

- XXXX zzzz YYYYY

- YYYYY XXXX

I would also recommend using exact match for XXXXYYYYY, you keyword would therefore look like this: [XXXXYYYYY]

This would allow your adverts to show for:

- XXXXYYYYY

Hope this helps,

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi @Néstor S,

@Matthew L, has mentioned the best and the simple strategy.

But if budget is not an issue and you are looking for more impressions and clicks through different search queries by the users(not covered in your phrase match keywords), you can continue with various keywords match types included modified broad.

In this case, you need to add phrase match negative keywords like "YYYY XXXX" and exact match negative like [XXXX] or [YYYY]

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you so much for your answer. 

Now, knowing that a Phrase Match like "XXXX YYYY" would allow my ad to show up for:

zzzz XXXX YYYY

zzzz XXXX YYYY zzzz

XXXX YYYY zzzz

If I knew that my potential clients were also searching for a known third word (lets say AAAA, and leaving ZZZZ for an unknown word), meaning searches like:

AAAA XXXX YYYY

XXXX YYYY AAAA

XXXX YYYY zzzz AAAA

XXXX YYYY AAAA zzzzz

zzzz AAAA XXXX YYYY

AAAA zzzz XXXX YYYY

AAAA XXXX YYYY zzzz

If budget is not an issue and I'm looking for more clicks:

Is it better to include AAAA as a keyword combination with the phrase XXXX YYYY to make my ad more relevant for the 3 keywords???,

or is it completely unnecessary and I would lose more money because phrase match [XXXX YYYY] is already showing my ad when somebody searches the previous combinations??