Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to add display ads for retina screens

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi There,

How do we add 2x resolution images for retina displays (iphones, iPads Macbook Pros) to my Google Display ads?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
December

Re: How to add display ads for retina screens

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Ben,

There are currently no requirements or limitations on image ad resolution, so long as your ads follow the file size (150 KB or smaller) and image size restrictions found on the image ad policy page.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
December

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Ben,

There are currently no requirements or limitations on image ad resolution, so long as your ads follow the file size (150 KB or smaller) and image size restrictions found on the image ad policy page.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Cassie but I don't understand your answer sorry.

How do I serve 300x250 to non-retina displays and 600x500 to retina displays (at 300x250 size at 2x resolution)?

Or do I create an ad at 300x250 but 144 dpi?

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Ben

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
OK, so have tried to create a 144dpi 300x250 ad but course you can't because increasing the dpi also increases the resolution.

Is there a way to upload a 2x resolution ad and tell Adwords to use a 600x500 ad as a 2x 300x250 ad?

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager
Hi Ben,

There's not an official Google solution at this time for showing retina ads, but adding a larger image ad and allowing the system to automatically shrink it to the 300x250 size on retina displays may work.

If anyone else has experience doing this kind of set-up, please chime in!

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie, you just don't get it. Using template answers doesn't help. CMSCSS has asked very clearly, you just don't get it, man...

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager
Hi Anait,

I'm sorry that you did not find my answer clear, or what you wanted to hear. The answer is simply that there is no Google-approved way to implement this at the moment.

Since this thread was last active about six months ago, you'll find that the best way to get an up-to-date answer is to start your own separate thread. You can go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thanks!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How does Google not have a solution for serving retina images yet? I really don't understand.

I work for a luxury real estate brand in Toronto and we serve display ads to our remarketing list. Of course, people in that demographic all own the latest Apple products: retina products. And they are all seeing blurry display ads. Probably not the greatest brand promotion.

Please come up with a retina ads option.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

After two years, it's hard to believe this post is still the top search result - I don't have high hopes but here goes!

1. Does google understand what retina images are and why we need them?

2. Is there a way to serve retina images across the display network?

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi,

No, there is no way. Restrictions and limitations on display ads are the same for all users and devices. Studies have found that image quality has little-to-no affect on the success of ads. There is not getting around the weight and dimension guidelines for your ads. 

Yes, Google understands what Retina images are... and that's a moot point. Use AdWords as it is outlined or find some way for Apple to promote your products. Why are we still discussing this after two years? 

Kind Regards,

James