AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to Upload 15k+ Zip Codes Efficiently?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Browser adwords UI won't let me upload more than 1k at a time. Even still, the browser comes to a crawl b/c of all the ajax calls.

I tried using adwords editor (the latest, as I downloaded it today) and there's no way to "validate" the uploaded zip codes.

Is there another way?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author taewoo
October 2015

Re: How to Upload 15k+ Zip Codes Efficiently?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, taewoo.

Just performed a quick test where I uploaded, via the AdWords Editor, a list of location IDs from the list here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

So what you need to do is to map your list of codes to a list of IDs and then you can bulk upload them through the Editor. They will appear unresolved initially, but once you've uploaded them, they'll be validated.

Those IDs are unique, so an ID assigned to a location type "postal code" will never overlap with a "city", "country" or "region" type.

In my case I uploaded (during a test) about 40k in 5-6 minutes, and my computer is not the fastest, brightest and earliest home kind.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi taewoo,

AdWords does still have the limit of 1,000 location targets uploaded at a time, and AdWords Editor is the only other way that I know of to make bulk changes.

Have you tried resolving the locations in Editor like in this process here?

Cassie

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author taewoo
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, taewoo.

Just performed a quick test where I uploaded, via the AdWords Editor, a list of location IDs from the list here: https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/geotargeting

So what you need to do is to map your list of codes to a list of IDs and then you can bulk upload them through the Editor. They will appear unresolved initially, but once you've uploaded them, they'll be validated.

Those IDs are unique, so an ID assigned to a location type "postal code" will never overlap with a "city", "country" or "region" type.

In my case I uploaded (during a test) about 40k in 5-6 minutes, and my computer is not the fastest, brightest and earliest home kind.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Calin & Cassie

Thanks for the tips.

I am trying what you guys are recommending.. except adwords editor gets frozen on this screen:

http://i.imgur.com/2bUQTqz.png

I've been waiting the past 10 minutes. It's just stuck there.

PS: I've tried both "Check Change" and "Post Change". And I have latest adwords editor 11.1.3. running on Win 7 Professional

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
It will come through, eventually. It's actually doing work, but the work is not reflected in the progress counters. This part (not updating counters) is a bug fixed for the next release.

Resolving locations by name is very slow - with 18,000+ you have, it'll likely take hours (essentially Editor is doing a lookup on Google Maps for each one of them, trying to figure out what a given piece of text might be referring to). Leave it running overnight. Or, as AdWiser suggests, import them by ID instead - that'll go much faster.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
I recalled there's a workaround. Before doing Check Changes or Post Changes, run Check Locations - there's a button on the toolbar on top of Locations view. This runs the resolution step on its own, and it does correctly show progress. Once locations are resolved, Check Changes and Post Changes won't need to resolve them again, will skip this step and go straight to actual checking or posting.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
"Before doing Check Changes or Post Changes, run Check Locations - there's a button on the toolbar on top of Locations view"

Yes, this seems to work. Thanks Igor. I'll post an update soon when (or if) it completes

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
@taewoo, are you uploading IDs or location names? Please have a look at what @AdWordsEng-Igor is saying three answers above: if you don't upload IDs, it is, obviously, painfully slow, due to all the work it needs to do.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Calin: Im uploading zip codes

@AdWordsEng-Igor: I got this error: http://i.imgur.com/PtE5FcP.png

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
Well, it is what it says: AdWords only allows up to 10,000 geo targets per campaign. Nothing Editor can do about that, it's just the messenger.