AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to Set Up Display Campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi!

I want to create display campaign but I'm wondering if I get it right. I know that there are a lot of options to start a campaign with and that testing is the key, but I'll explain how I would do it and you can provide a feedback on it, it will be greatly appreciated.

So, I have search campaigns which are working good and I would like to expand to Display Network. I'm in travel industry, ground transportation (taxi/transfers) and my priority is conversion not traffic/branding.

The idea is to copy keywords/ad groups from Search campaigns, paste it in Display campaign and leave only one match type of keywords (contextual targeting). I would create new text and image ads for each Ad group in Display campaign and start it off.

At the same time I would copy/paste this newly created Display campaign, purpose of this second campaign would be to only include placements from first Display campaign which proved to be good. After the placements (which are providing conversions) are added from campaign 1 to campaign 2, I would add that placement as negative in campaign 1.

Is this a good strategy? Would you also use Interests, Topics etc. along with keywords (contextual targeting)?

The idea comes from this post.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Mate

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mate A
September 2015

Re: How to Set Up Display Campaign?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hello Mate,

When I need to get more relevant traffic, first of all I create Remarketing campaigns in Google Display Network as my preferable way of targeting.

Second option which worked well for me - manual placements, the whole idea is get enough conversion data so the system can manage bids for you. So after a while I switch at target CPA using conversion optimizer so Google will bid on profitable placements.

From all display campaigns I exclude mobile traffic adding negative placements adsenseformobileapps.com appspot.com on a shared library level and exclusions.

Then I test keyword targeting choosing 4-5 best keywords from my search campaigns. Interest doesn't work very good. Please look at your own ads setting profile https://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Mate A;

Nice question.

So, if I got you correctly,  you'll end with one campaign, with a  targeting method using   keywords + placements

The only comment I have is that you don't need more than 10-15 keywords to set a theme for contextual targeting.  I assume you have many more on your search campaign. Don't copy all of them.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Mate A
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hello Mate,

When I need to get more relevant traffic, first of all I create Remarketing campaigns in Google Display Network as my preferable way of targeting.

Second option which worked well for me - manual placements, the whole idea is get enough conversion data so the system can manage bids for you. So after a while I switch at target CPA using conversion optimizer so Google will bid on profitable placements.

From all display campaigns I exclude mobile traffic adding negative placements adsenseformobileapps.com appspot.com on a shared library level and exclusions.

Then I test keyword targeting choosing 4-5 best keywords from my search campaigns. Interest doesn't work very good. Please look at your own ads setting profile https://www.google.com/ads/preferences/

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for your input @MosheTLV & @Alexey C

@MosheTLV yes, the idea is to use keywords for first campaign, extract those placements that are performing well and add them to second campaign, so I end up with keywords + placements like you said.

I have 10 keywords on average per Ad group, but keywords are similar. If I have 2 Ad Groups "New York Taxi" and "New York Airport Taxi" with keywords related to the names of Ad groups (like: [new york taxi], +new +york +airport +taxi etc.), I could create just one Ad group named "New York" and add these keywords: "new york airport taxi" and "new york taxi" instead of creating 2 Ad groups like in Search campaign, I think that would be good idea right?

I can combine some Ad groups from search, just not to add too many keywords per Ad group.

@Alexey Csome great ideas here, tnx. Yeah, maybe is better to start off with the audience that visited my website, I'll get more relevant traffic like you said, I actually have remarketing tag on the website.

Any ideas on how to find placements, you just search on Google for websites that use AdSense and that might be relevant to you or?

I've read somewhere that it's good idea to exclude adsenseformobileapps.com, nice tip, will definitely do that.

"Then I test keyword targeting choosing 4-5 best keywords from my search campaigns" so you use manual placements + few best performing keywords or?

I looked at ads preferences and yeah, doesn't work very well, didn't know for that.

Thank guys, I have a better picture of Display now.

Regards,

Mate

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star
Mate, you are welcome.
Usually I test different options - sometimes I have only placement targeting, sometimes I am using only keywords or combine both targeting options if I am still getting decent amount of clicks.

To get list of placements I am using Display Planner tool. Probably you are already familiar with it. Also I experiement with different ad format and sizes adding them in rotation so google will show more effective after a while and I can participate in bigger amount of auctions ( in Adsense advertisers are able to limit ad.formats choosing only specific ones which are more profitable for them).

Cheers,
Alexey

Cheers, Alexey
UAWC Agency

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Mate A;

Not sure I fully grasp your ad-group structure; but the point is that the list of keywords (for contextual targeting) should  include keywords, all related to "taxi and transportation to New York Airports",  which is the common theme. (For examples: taxi to JFK, Taxi to La Guardia, Transportation to JFK, Shuttle to JFK, Manhattan to JFK ground transportation....)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
@MosheTLV exactly.

I will not create (like in search):
Ad Group 1 - jfk shuttle
Ad Group 2 - jfk taxi
Ad Group 2 - jfk transport

Instead Ad group (for display) would look like:
Ad Group 1 - jfk shuttle, jfk taxi, jfk transport