AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to Select Perfect Targeting Method for Remarketing Campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have added the remarketing tag to my website. And, I can see remarketing lists over Google Adwords. You can find out attachment to know more about it.

I am confuse to select Topics and Interest & Remarketing.

Arts & Entertainment > Visual Art & Design

Photographic & Digital Arts

Arts & Entertainment > Visual Art & Design

Painting

I have selected these two topics to display my banner on these topics related website.

Now, Does it really matter to select these two again under Interest & Remarketing section? OR, Can I go forward by adding only Remarketing list?

You can visit following URL to get more ideas regarding image.

https://docs.google.com/a/commercepundit.com/file/d/0BxyEDFdgDN-iZUxpVVR1U0JQdkk/edit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author anandmistry
September 2015

Re: How to Select Perfect Targeting Method for Remarketing Campaign?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When you will use Topics and a remarketing list, your visits will be narrowed down to users from your remarketing list who happen to visit sites about those topics so it is an intersection of 2 targetings.

When you will use those 2 interests and a remarketing list, the rule applied will be OR, meaning that you can receive visits from either

a) People tracked to have a certain interest compatible with those categories  , since Interests target user's behaviour

OR

b) People from your remarketing list, no matter what interest they have.

So for Interests or Remarketing lists it is not an intersection of targeting.

I would go with Topics + remarketing list or Keywords + Remarketing list as 2 targeting methods for the same ad group.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author anandmistry
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

When you will use Topics and a remarketing list, your visits will be narrowed down to users from your remarketing list who happen to visit sites about those topics so it is an intersection of 2 targetings.

When you will use those 2 interests and a remarketing list, the rule applied will be OR, meaning that you can receive visits from either

a) People tracked to have a certain interest compatible with those categories  , since Interests target user's behaviour

OR

b) People from your remarketing list, no matter what interest they have.

So for Interests or Remarketing lists it is not an intersection of targeting.

I would go with Topics + remarketing list or Keywords + Remarketing list as 2 targeting methods for the same ad group.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am going to select all topics & Remarketing list for targeting with specific ad group. So, What will happen? Google will display my banner to all visitors who ever visited my website. Now, Topic is not matter. Because, I have selected all topics to get display. What you suggest?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

You don't have to select All Topics, you can use a single targeting method, that is your Remarketing list. This is enough to show your Display Ads to previous visitors if that is your concern.

So just go to Interests & Remarketing , add the remarketing list to the Ad Group and you are all set. There will be a small delay until you see impressions , and I would suggest using a slightly higher bid for start, then you can decrease it.

Usually I use just a part of my past visitors in remarketing, for example those which did not convert, not all visitors, but that is another thing to discuss.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I am 100% agree with you! I have checked Google Adwords campaign to edit Targeting method. And, I have found three lists over there.

Can you please give me quick idea on it?

All visitors 330

Display Network only - Remarketing 7,000

Similar to Display Network only - Remarketing 5,000,000

You can see these list in image which was posted my be in question...

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you have a "Thank you page" which loads after a purchase takes place, you can create a list of people who visited just that page.

Then you can create a new list based on rules (if you are using AdWords tag for remarketing) or a "Custom combination" list if you are using Google analytics audiences.

This list will basically tell AdWords to use a smaller set of visitors like this :  Audience1 ( all visitors) minus Audience2 (people who converted) . So if Audience1 now it is 7000 ( from you printscreen) and the Audience2 is perhaps 700, the new "Custom combination list" will show you 6300 .

For more details about creating audiences for remarketing, google has prepared this page :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476691?hl=en

Read the section "Appeal to visitors who didn't convert"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for quick reply! And, I am going to mark this question as fix... And, I am quite excited to see fabulous improvement over my Google Adwords display network campaign.