AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How to Display Local Ads? Are they out of Beta?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've done some testing in performing some searches on Google Maps in a major city area in the USA for services like 'Dentist' and 'Insurance  Broker' and in about 10 different searches for these very popular services I've only seen ONE Local Listing Ad (designated with the little Ad icon on the left)

Are Local Ads in Production and if so how do you get your Ad to display.  Or are they still in Beta and only being allowed by a select few Adwords advertisers?  Or, are they in production but the display rules Google currently is using makes it some Ads associated with Adwords locations extensions are very rarely displayed?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Jeff C

I already explained this to you in your other related post.  This is nothing separate outside of Adwords, and there is no Beta. Google Maps is part of the search partner network.  So to enable these you need to create a search campaign with search partners enabled, and setup a location extension which links from your Business account.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The "Promoted Pins Placement" are out of beta but require a large spend.  I was told $1K/day.

Here's an article that talks more about it.

http://unbounce.com/ppc/google-maps-promoted-pins/

Re: How to Display Local Ads? Are they out of Beta?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shanee_Kirk

That's bad info. 

Here is a screenshot of data for a single campaign for all of 2016.  The client does not spend anywhere close to 1k/day.  His ad shows on maps.google.com, and the Google Maps app on mobile.  There is no special setup than what I already described.  I challenge you to find any official Google documentation of anything that refers to a "promoted pin" campaign.  Ads on maps have been around for years, and I don't recall there ever being an exclusive beta where only certain advertisers could participate.

bankrtuptcy-campaign-example.jpg

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

David - This is a new feature.  It came out of Beta Oct 31st.  You still have to have your rep set it up.  There seem to be tons of articles out there about it though.

http://www.webpagefx.com/blog/marketing/use-google-maps-promoted-pins/

I don't see anything from Google yet.  I DO however have personal emails from my rep about it.

Re: How to Display Local Ads? Are they out of Beta?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shanee_Kirk

Here is my client in desktop maps.google.com and the mobile app.  No rep set this up. It's coming from a regular search campaign as I described.  The client does not spend anywhere close to 1k/day.  He's had ads in maps well before Oct 31.  maps.google.com and the mobile app are a search partner.

desktop.jpgmaps.jpg

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

This one explains the difference.  It's two different things... The promoted pins takes the "normal" map ads a bit further.

http://searchengineland.com/excited-googles-new-map-ads-254629 

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shanee_Kirk

Not the way I read it. These seem to be completely different and more brand focused for people who are browsing the map, for example following along a directions route, and not performing a specific search.  So in respect to the OP's original question it's not even relevant.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

there is a basic ad-format (extension) that is part of google's
mobile-first-world-initiative and extends local-search-ads across
google.com and google-maps -- local-search-ad location-extension:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3246303

there are four experimental extensions, targeted toward google-maps,
related apps, and are also part of google's mobile-first-world initiative --
(1) promoted-pins mainly for physical storefronts;
(2) local-business-pages -- updated formatting for maps;
(3) special-offers/in-store promotions;
(4) local-product inventory-search;

the former two experimental location-extensions mainly
require linked integration with google-my-business and

a physical store location that resolves on google-maps.

the latter two began as part of the google-merchant-center and basically
helps merchants who are currently using or familiar with shopping-ads --
the last, but not least, ad-extension, mainly helps merchants with physical
in-stock inventory, who also have a storefront, with posted walk-in hours,
for in-person purchases; the new local-product-inventory-search mainly
extends google-local-shopping to google-maps and related mobile-apps.

see also
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/953668900557463685?channel=fe&q=toothpaste+near+dallas+tx&pr...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I read that as of January 19, Google will not display a forwarding toll free number on call extensions when also displaying your location extension in an ad.  Supposedly this is to have consistent citations for the business.  However this also means that you can't track call conversions.

The support article referenced in the previous post states "Call extensions are not eligible to show with local search ad formats."  So does this essentially mean, people pressing the call button in the local ad will not register a conversion?  I can't believe Google decided to do this because it's going to suppress the conversion rate and cause advertisers to either pause ads or lower their max bid more often meaning less revenue for Google.