2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How the plus sign works?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just started to us the plus sign in my keywords. I feel like I'm contradicting myself a little, I'll give you an example..... If I have "Dark blue jeans" and  +dark +blue +jeans +kids (as they only supply them for kids).... would I be contradicting myself as I'm basically saying for the second keyword that the words kids needs to be present for the ad to show? Where as in the first it doesn't?

Thanks,

Levi

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Levi C
October 2015

Re: How the plus sign works?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

The first one you mentioned  is phrase match type and any phrase or related in the same order might trigger an ad for you. But in case of Broad modifiers, the phrase in any order can trigger an ad for your respective keyword.

See this screenshot for more details:-

Keywords.png

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Levi C
October 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

The first one you mentioned  is phrase match type and any phrase or related in the same order might trigger an ad for you. But in case of Broad modifiers, the phrase in any order can trigger an ad for your respective keyword.

See this screenshot for more details:-

Keywords.png

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Thank you for getting back to me. That does help but my questions is, is there any point in having the phase match in there? If I'm using the same words for the match modifier?

Sorry I'm new to this...am I right in thinking that with the broad match modifier if people search words around this as long as the words with the plus on are included it will show? Say I had one product that was relevant to the rail, mining and oil industry... would I have to have all these as key words or would just having the product name with the plus signs pick it up for someone searching for the product name in any of them industries? ie my keyword is +product name and they search for 'product name rail' thanks!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Levy C,

You wold keep both keywords in your campaign so you can bid differently on the two variations. If the phrase match has a better CTR and conversion rate, you might want to bid a little higher than for the BMM version.

But in your example, the phrase match does not include "kids", so you will get impressions and likely get clicks from people looking for other than what you sell.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords