AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How splitting your campaign into ad groups based on the products you sell can help you

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hello everybody! I’m Nidarshana and I work with the Advertiser Services team. In this discussion, I have a tip which I wish to share specifically with the new advertisers. Smiley Happy

Quite often, we get requests from you on how you can improve the performance of your ads. There is a very simple and a sure shot way of getting more exposure and clicks for your ads.

SPLIT YOUR CAMPAIGNS INTO AD GROUPS:

Let's say you have an apparel brand and sell T-shirts, trousers, denims and a lot of other different kinds of clothes and you also have a website. Now, you wish to advertise this website and create a new AdWords account for the same.

Now, when you create a new account, the next step is creating a new campaign. Instead of creating a new campaign with one ad group and one ad, try creating multiple ad groups, with each ad group representing one product.

Imagine your campaign to be a box of folders related to various bills that you pay, and the folders are the ad groups. So, now, all the bills related to water are in one folder, and the electricity bills are in another one, and so on. This will help you address each category of bills, by checking when you need to pay and how many bills you have paid.  Similarly, different ad groups for different ad groups will be very helpful in focusing on each product so that you don’t lose out on any single product.

------> When you split your campaign to ad groups
------> Each ad group represents a category
------> Each category has its own ads and keywords
------> These keywords will trigger these ads, when users look for the specific products
------> So, the possibility of the users finding what they are looking for is higher and they will click on your ads too!

So, for example, if a user is looking for ‘black casual denims’ as a search term, your ad from the ad group ‘Denims’ will show up. This will attract the user who is also looking for the same product and he/she might be interested in purchasing your product! Smiley Happy

Note:

This setup is most suitable to campaigns targeting the Search Network, but you can also use it for some Display Network campaigns.

Happy splitting! If you have any questions, you can always Contact Us. We're happy to assist you! 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How splitting your campaign into ad groups based on the products you sell can help you.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi slowtheatrecompany, although the Adwords Keyword Tool does now have an "Ad Groups Suggestions" section in testing, the answer is, regretably, still largely one of your own legwork.

You as the advertiser (and probably product/service owner) are in the best position to decide what your categories should be and therefore what Ad Groups you should create.  The important part is making sure the categories are logical and distinct.  Ads will perform much more effectively when they are tightly focused to a particular theme rather than when very general in nature.

If you give us some more details of your business area, we may be able to make some suggestions of Ad Groups to get you going...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Re: How splitting your campaign into ad groups based on the products you sell can help you.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

BUT how do you do this practically? Is there a step by step guide somewhere on help?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi slowtheatrecompany, although the Adwords Keyword Tool does now have an "Ad Groups Suggestions" section in testing, the answer is, regretably, still largely one of your own legwork.

You as the advertiser (and probably product/service owner) are in the best position to decide what your categories should be and therefore what Ad Groups you should create.  The important part is making sure the categories are logical and distinct.  Ads will perform much more effectively when they are tightly focused to a particular theme rather than when very general in nature.

If you give us some more details of your business area, we may be able to make some suggestions of Ad Groups to get you going...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hey, slowtheatrecomp, could you give us more details on your question? We are here to help! Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
It is a very delicate procedure, you have to select keywords and decide what Ad Groups to create. One good indicator that may help you to started is to do a little research about your main keywords and how popular they are. If search volume for your main keywords is low, then it is advisable to start just with category targeted Ad Groups and if it goes well, you can try splitting them into more targeted Ad Groups.

Re: How splitting your campaign into ad groups based on the products you sell can help you

[ Edited ]
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Sq
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Slowtheatre

Maybe I can share some help:

AdGroup Ideas (New Campaign)

• This is a great tool to start with but sometimes you end up wanting a keyword and the tool has put it in the wrong place so write it down and add manually to the correct adgroup later on

KeyWord Grouper (Existing Campaigns)

• Download AdWords Editor
  • Load your account
  • Go to keywords tab - select all (CTRL+A)
  • Tools > Keyword Grouper
  • Follow instructions and like magic all of your keywords have been organised for you
  • Remember to go through each ad group then drag and drop misplaced keywords into the right ad group manually

Extra ways of organising below -

Ad Based

• Predict what a customer wants and trigger advert to offer them a solution
  • Users searches "buy denim jeans" > Show advert for 'Order Denim Jeans Online'
  • User searches "buy black jeans" > Show advert for 'Black Jeans On Sale Today'
  • Each ad in each adgroup now allows you to land users on the correct page (destination URL)
  • As Nidarshana points out, showing people the right advert could increase sales your advert confirmed you have what the user wanted before they looked at your website - solution sale

Keyword Based

• Organise similar keywords into groups, themes or general
  • Keywords "denim jeans sale" or "discount denim jeans" can be treat differently to those searching for "designer denim jeans" and "expensive denim jeans"
  • Each group of keywords will now allow you to increase/decrease bids or edit text ads slightly and pause/enable at the adgroup level. Money allocated to 'cheap' customers can be separated from 'decent' customers

Conversion/Research Based

•  Organise keywords or text ads into groups based on performance
  •  This allows you to create new ad groups for new keywords and split your important/converting keywords into dedicated adgroups (or campaigns)
  • For a tiny budget you should run a separate campaign to test new ideas, don't blow your current campaigns daily budget on keyword groups you are not so sure about. Try allocate a daily research budget to yourself and if any experimental ad group runs well, pause > add to 'converting campaign folder'
  • This type of campaign helps for advertisers with marketing needs changing very often but also need to keep business running with permanent  services/products

For Total Control

• Having limited numbers (i.e. 2-3) of keywords per adgroup for text ad, landing page or analysis reasons.
  • Ultimate control allowing you to write a dedicated advert for each keyword
  • Can use KW Destination URL tracking or land a user on dedicated product / service pages

Don't Break Google!

• This whole exercise is centered around you taking the role of helping google organise your paid listing and give users exactly what they are looking for, the last thing you want to do is break/confuse Google
  • Using broad match means an ad group dedicated to 'buy jeans discount' could be triggered by another ad group with a similar combination of keywords 'buy jeans'
  • One solution - bid on phrased match "buy jeans discount" and add the same keyword as a negative to the broad matched 'buy jeans' adgroup (at adgroup level)
  • "phrase match" your keywords at minimum or [exact match] when you have the data to prove the keyword worked or for q.s reasons
  • Do not create competing adgroups (or campaigns) and use negative keyword blocking (ad group level) to make sure the system knows when to display each ad.

Re: How splitting your campaign into ad groups based on the products y

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Audrius_D

I'm new to all this and let me tell you that you are super correct! all this is very delicate. I wanted to know where can I search for the main (popular) keywords for my target. I sell handmade children apparel.

Thanks,

Isis

Re: How splitting your campaign into ad groups based on the products y

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Isis,

For this purpose I would recommend using Google Keyword Planner tool. You can access it via the URL below:
https://adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner