Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How should an agency set up accounts for clients

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I work for an agency and we are new to PPC. I am starting three new AdWords campaigns for separate clients next month. I am AdWords certified under my personal email, however, I created an MCC under my work email and imported me certified account.

So my question is what is the best way to setup client accounts in AdWords if everything will be billed to our (the agency) credit card? Especially if a client already has an AdWords account linked to their Google Analytics. Is it best to setup new AdWords account under the client's email address and then add our credit card information? This way the account can be given back to the client and the client can't see other client's information?

Also, does my MCC account need to be certified in order to work towards Certified Partner status for the agency?

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelsey B
October 2016

Re: How should an agency set up accounts for clients

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Kelsey B

It's definitely best to have clients own their account, and for the agency to add them to their MCC.  It's certainly okay to add your credit card to the client's account. I work with an agency that does this when the client insists on paying the agency directly for everything. Having the same card on multiple accounts is not a problem.

It's best practice to keep clients separate. The example you give is an excellent reason.  Another reason is the way QS can impact an account.

You need to register your MCC account with the Google Partners program.  http://www.google.com/partners  

Once you do this, you can associate your personal account with the MCC account.  Once you meet the spend and customer care requirements, your agency will be a certified Partner.  You will be the certified individual that qualifies it for the test taking part.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kelsey B
October 2016

Re: How should an agency set up accounts for clients

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Kelsey B

It's definitely best to have clients own their account, and for the agency to add them to their MCC.  It's certainly okay to add your credit card to the client's account. I work with an agency that does this when the client insists on paying the agency directly for everything. Having the same card on multiple accounts is not a problem.

It's best practice to keep clients separate. The example you give is an excellent reason.  Another reason is the way QS can impact an account.

You need to register your MCC account with the Google Partners program.  http://www.google.com/partners  

Once you do this, you can associate your personal account with the MCC account.  Once you meet the spend and customer care requirements, your agency will be a certified Partner.  You will be the certified individual that qualifies it for the test taking part.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kelsey, 

I prefer if the clients setup their own adwords account and analytics to which i add them to my MCC. if they want me to pay for the service then i use our agency card. 

Regards,

Zaby

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I joined my husband's company where he had an agency already handling their AdWords campaign, which was set up under the agency's AdWords account. We now want to manage our own AdWords campaigns. What you recommend the best way to handle this switch with our current AdWords under the agency's account?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Nicole - The agency should "release" the account to you.  The client should own the PPC account.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’