AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How should I go about placing my ad when I'm not interested in reaching the local, surrounding area?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a music/DJ business in the destination wedding location of Key West. How should I go about advertising to brides across the country who are looking for music for their weddings. I am not interested in local advertising, most clients are from all across the country..

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How should I go about placing my ad when I'm not interested in reaching the local, surrounding a

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Chris,

Use the keyword planner tool to find out the keywords relevant to your business.
Don't forget to choose the appropriate keywords match types.

To exclude the local audiences, you can exclude the specific area where you don't want to show your ads or select the nearby area to any specific location.
You can also use radius targeting(Advanced search) the same way.

targeting.jpg

radius.jpg

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: How should I go about placing my ad when I'm not interested in reaching the local, surrounding a

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
I would advise against search network targeting in this case... Perhaps try a combination of targeting for display networks. For example wedding related topics or interest categories, and Key West related KW's.
Tom

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Chris T

I would actually advise a combination of both - Search Network and Display Network campaigns. Create separate campaigns for Search and Display for efficient management. 

Have a search network campaign targeting specific keywords that define your offerings. It will allow you to be in front of the people who are actually looking for what you offer. 

Next, when you search Google for the services you offer with a specific location in your search query, you will see that most of the websites in the first and second pages are classifieds and business listing/directory sites. Take this hint where your potential customers might be. Search for these sites in Google Display Network's placement search box and target them as managed placements. 

Next, look for the website that write about wedding. They may be personal blogs, forums, local news, magazines sites etc. Search for them in the managed placement search box and target them individually. 

If you have more budgets left, create a contextual targeting ad group with a combination of topic and keywords, or a interest based adgroup with specific interest categories and @tomhalejr advised. 

Finally,  make sure you have ads in all popular dimensions. The best would be to make use of Responsive Display ads that you can build from the ad builder interface only. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.