AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How often do you login to adwords to optimize?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I think Im "over-optimizing". I adjust bid daily... and add to my insanely long list of (exact match) negative keywords..

Is there such thing as doing it too much?

How often do you tinker with it and what is the recommended amount?

3 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Hi Taewoo,   >> Is there such thing as doing it too much?...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

>> Is there such thing as doing it too much? <<

Yes, there is. We call it micro-management. Unless you have good reasons to expect rapid changes to happen we typically optimize campaigns weekly.

As for the insanely long list of exact negatives that might be quite normal in case they originate from the Search Query report. Just one note in this respect: you may often encounter once in a lifetime Search Queries that only accrued one impression and are unlikely to come forth again. In some scenarios that's a really huge list. As for me, when scanning SQs for irrelevant ones I only scan those that accrued at least 2-3 impressions. That strategy could shorten the list of irrelevant negatives significantly while chances are the losses caused by the ignored items will be minimal.

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

How often do you optimize Adwords ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo;

I follow closely a new campaign's performance during the "transition period", until it reaches a "steady state". At this point (that usually happens 7-10 days after launching the campaign), I switch, as lakatos suggested, to a weekly or bi-weekly (=every two weeks) monitoring.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Let me start by saying I agree with Lakatos and Moshe - r...

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Let me start by saying I agree with Lakatos and Moshe - reviewing an account weekly and making adjustments is what I'd think of as the "norm."

Once you've made edits, you need to wait for enough data to accumulate to really let you see the ongoing impact. Traffic isn't the same every day. For example, weekend traffic can be very different from weekday traffic and morning traffic can be very different from evening traffic. Also, the delay in posting data (all data isn't posted to your account until at least 24 hour hours have passed) means that you could be 'optimizing' based on partial information. It's a mistake to optimize from just partial data--any changes you make could wind up having the opposite effect that you intend.

Having said that, I would also add that reviewing ad performance a couple of times a week until you're sure your ad messaging is working properly--I'd say that's a good tactic. 

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Hi Taewoo,   >> Is there such thing as doing it too much?...

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo,

>> Is there such thing as doing it too much? <<

Yes, there is. We call it micro-management. Unless you have good reasons to expect rapid changes to happen we typically optimize campaigns weekly.

As for the insanely long list of exact negatives that might be quite normal in case they originate from the Search Query report. Just one note in this respect: you may often encounter once in a lifetime Search Queries that only accrued one impression and are unlikely to come forth again. In some scenarios that's a really huge list. As for me, when scanning SQs for irrelevant ones I only scan those that accrued at least 2-3 impressions. That strategy could shorten the list of irrelevant negatives significantly while chances are the losses caused by the ignored items will be minimal.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

How often do you optimize Adwords ?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Taewoo;

I follow closely a new campaign's performance during the "transition period", until it reaches a "steady state". At this point (that usually happens 7-10 days after launching the campaign), I switch, as lakatos suggested, to a weekly or bi-weekly (=every two weeks) monitoring.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Let me start by saying I agree with Lakatos and Moshe - r...

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Let me start by saying I agree with Lakatos and Moshe - reviewing an account weekly and making adjustments is what I'd think of as the "norm."

Once you've made edits, you need to wait for enough data to accumulate to really let you see the ongoing impact. Traffic isn't the same every day. For example, weekend traffic can be very different from weekday traffic and morning traffic can be very different from evening traffic. Also, the delay in posting data (all data isn't posted to your account until at least 24 hour hours have passed) means that you could be 'optimizing' based on partial information. It's a mistake to optimize from just partial data--any changes you make could wind up having the opposite effect that you intend.

Having said that, I would also add that reviewing ad performance a couple of times a week until you're sure your ad messaging is working properly--I'd say that's a good tactic. 

Just my $0.02.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Thank you everyone   For those of you that recommend agai...

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you everyone

For those of you that recommend against "micromanaging"...  how do you deal against "daily fluctuations"?

For example... using the website optimizer  (which changes your bid daily)... or using automated rules...  or your competitors doing crazy changes that affects your ad position, etc...

I've yet to get to a state where it's like "set and forget"...

It would be difficult to tell how I&nbsp;handle it before the...

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

It would be difficult to tell how I handle it before the campaign is on the right track because that varies with each individual scenario. There is, of course, an initial period when the campaign needs more attention. Once this period is over and it's business as usual the crazy things you mentioned can just be ignored unless they have an inpact on the weekly picture. I'd reiterate that unless you have good reasons to expect rapid changes re-visiting the campaign once a week should be sufficient.

In a kind of broader context I'd add that it always pays to look at the broader picture just like at the stock/fx market. Sort of hourly waives or fluctuation can be really frustrating even though they often can make one stare at the screen for endless hours. One important aspect of the art of managing AdWords is to learn to keep cool and stay away and don't get distracted by miniature details. When you learn this lesson you have made an important step towards success. Honestly, it took me quite a few months to understand and digest it .... Smiley Happy