AdWords
7.1K members online now
7.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How much maximum keywords I should use to get good ROI? Which match type's cost is less?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I want to initiate the campaign for a portal site which helps visitors to sell & buy a business through listing in our website. Currently running a campaign which contains 2 adgroups & 1 adgroup has 1 keyword and an another adgroup has 4 keywords. We use broad match for all keywords.

Both adgroups are for different purposes.

1st adgroup's keyword got 7 quality score and suddenly dropped to 5. Why this happened?

In 2nd adgroup, 2 keywords got quality scores 7  & 8. other 2 keywords have 6.

Does this make any issues in quality score? How can I handle with this situation? How much maximum keywords to a adgroup would be a better option? Do I need to change the match types? Can I use broad match modifier? Which match type will help me to get good ROI? Which match type would be a better option for low budget?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How much maximum keywords I should use to get good ROI? Which match type's cost is less?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @arul k,

In this case you don't have to worry about the number of keywords in your ad groups. Four isn't too many at all, just make sure that they are all closely themed to one another. You do need to turn your attention to other areas regarding your quality scores though.

I'd start with the above points initially, then we can cover more areas if you believe you're already doing well with these.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

How much maximum keywords I should use to get good ROI? Which match type's cost is less?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

To follow with @ScottyD, few things more to understand here. What is your business objective and how have you organized your current account structure. As you wrote, it looks like you haven't tested some good number of keywords around your business. You should explore more on Keyword Planner and identify right set of keywords mapping back to your landing page. Also, how long you have been running the campaign? Is it close to one month or you just started?

Please understand the any advertising platform does take some amount of time before providing optimal results. So investing time and money in the right direction is really important to drive results across AdWords.

My 2 cents!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Arul, 

When you add new keywords to your account, the initial quality score will be calculated based on your competitors' quality score who bid for the same keyword. Later on, your keyword quality score will change based on your ad's performance. That's the reason why your quality score dropped. 

Quality score is not impacted by the number of keywords or match types. It is impacted by the relevance from user search term to ad copy to landing page relevance.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Sakthi