AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How many keywords to target with my first campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, guys!

As you can tell by the title I'm new to PPC advertising and this is my first campaign.

I have a question - I can't find the answer anywhere on the internet. (I tried hard)

Let me explain the situation.

I have built out a reasonable campaign for myself

22 ad groups

400 Keywords

I have tried to be specific to make sure that ad communicates directly with potential clients.

Before I start my campaign I wanted to know how I can make sure that keywords I'm using are good ones. So read a couple of articles on topic and suggestion is that I need to get 100 - 200 clicks per Keyword to determine if the keyword is good.

Now, this scared me a bit because average CPC in my industry is $3+.

So in my situation, it works out like this

400 keywords x $3 CPC x 100 Clicks = $120 000 

To test all my keywords.

The problem is that my budget is $300 - $500 a month

That means it would take me at least 20 Years to test my keywords.

I guess this is not a great option to go for, because of the time it takes.

The second option would be to target a handful of keywords. Let's say up to 20 Keywords and then I can reasonably quickly see which Keywords are performing well and which ones are not. And then I can remove the bad converting ones and test new ones while keeping good converting ones.

I would be extremely thankful is someone could advise me from personal experience on how many keywords I should target with my budget.

Kind Regards,

Janis

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How many keywords to target with my first campaign?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Janis K,

Actually there's no such number and nothing is good or bad for a first campaign. Number of keywords to target, depends on various factors. That said, I'd recommend starting with sections of your website/product catalog that generate high margin & high volume sales and building a keyword set up around them. This should help you test a reasonable set of keywords and balance budgets as well.

I'd suggest reading these articles as they have pretty good guidance on managing keywords:

• 5 Concepts to Understand before starting AdWords here
  • Basics of AdWords auction and bidding here
  • Interesting math about keywords here
  • Balancing budgets & keywords here
  • Detailed article about success with keywords here
  • Well explained article with examples on keyword match types here

Additionally, I'd also suggest testing a Dynamic Search Campaign which essentially generates search terms that can then be analyzed later to build a keyword set up. More info on this here.

Good luck!

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, Sumanth!

Thanks for pointing out the direction. I was looking in the direction to test few relevant keywords rather than loads.

Also, as I'm a beginner - it will be easier for me to manage fewer keywords.

Thanks again.

Janis

Janis

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Glad I could be of help! I'd suggest launching Shopping (for eCommerce) & Dynamic Search campaigns first identify what works & what doesn't. Then you can arrive at keywords to target & negate.

Would you mind sharing the website URL?

Best,

Sumanth Sridhar

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm planning to start with search ads!

The landing page is currently under development. It's going to be a dedicated landing page with 1 main call to action. Smiley Wink 

Thanks,