3.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How many coupons can I use?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi! I am usually working on about 3 or 4 new sites a month and I was wondering if in order to test how well they do with ads I could use a coupon with each one. Sites are completely different, just ideas, startups.

Is there any limit to the total coupons I can use?

Thanks a lot!

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How many coupons can I use?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Simple answer: One promo code per customer. This is clearly stated within the terms of service.
(Any attempt to open multiple accounts, in order to benefit from pro codes - will result in immediate suspension)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Moshe, Thanks! I still have doubts as the terms are ambiguous. On the one hand "customer" is not defined, and also point 2 (b) says that there are instances where existing customers can use promotional codes. Also there are some AdWords Tutorials indicating that if you use MCC and you have accounts under management then each account can use a coupon -https://support.google.com/partners/answer/3125692?hl=en- as long as it is 1 coupon per customer.

Anyway, thanks a lot! I will contact support just to have a written official response.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Customer = a business entity which advertises.
The cases in which Google allows more than one coupon per customer are rare. (e.g. A specific customer is awarded a prize.)
Here is an example what could happen if the TOS are violated;
https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/AdWords-Account-Issues/Account-suspended/m-p/521630
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks again Moshe. I am sorry I couldn't find that definition for customer in the terms. Do you have a specific link where it says that Customer would be defined as "a business entity which advertises." Maybe I am reading different ToS. Also, what defines "a business entity which advertises"? If am Elon Musk and I own Tesla and SpaceX can I use a different coupon for each of my "business entities which advertises" ? Or because I (Elon Musk) am the same person and owner of both "business entities which advertise" I can't use a coupon for each account? (even though Elon Musk probably won't need to use coupons...)

Also regarding the link you sent, I am not aware of the circumstances under which that person used the coupons. If he was opening accounts to use advertising credit to promote the same business then it looks like he is violating the "1 coupon per business entity" as you stated and that is why he was suspended. Also, that is not my case.

Anyway, I will wait for an official response from AdWords. Thanks a lot for your time! I will link to this thread in my message to support so we can get a definite clarification.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Turn this on its head for a moment... and ask who will pay for the ads?

In the scenario you outline Space X would pay for one account and Tesla would pay for the other. These are separate "entities".

In your case will you be the "entity" that pays on both (all) situations? If the answer is yes, then you've answered your question.

Whilst Elon Musk owns both Tesla and Space X they are completely separate in a legal sense and so they could each apply a coupon.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Yakito;

A separate business entity is a sport legal  entity, (i.e. Company) promoting a different product, targeting different audiences.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Again, Thanks @stickleback and @MosheTLV! I think we are getting close to an understanding. So, basically if Elon Musk can promote his companies because they are a different product and a different audience, then the only question which would remain is about what constitutes a legal entity. 

Always assuming that customer is defined as "Legal Business Entity" which I am not fully aware that is the case as it is not literally stated and also that would leave out all the accounts opened as "individual" which is also an option when you create a new account.

So, regarding legal entity, assuming Uncle Joe owns a bakery and way, way back he opened an Adwords account using a coupon. He is well past the $25 activation and now spends $2000 a month. One day a client saw one of his drawings he did while the store was without customers and suggested him to put those on sale on Etsy. 

Here comes the question: Can Uncle Joe use a coupon to promote his new Etsy business even though he used a coupon to promote his Bakery Shop before?

Again, many thanks for all your time!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

in more practical terms, coupons are mainly from google's perspective --
trying to obtain new business from bill-paying entities who have never
used their product before, anyplace within their organization; if you or
anyone in your organization has ever tried their product then, google
likely does not want to waste a coupon since your organization has
already tried google's product -- regardless of any owned websites.

to that end, almost all coupons have a minimum-spend
so that a new organization actually uses and earnestly
evaluates the product.

a coupon is almost never a save-some-money promotion

for entities that have already test-driven google's product.

about the only exception is when google creates a coupon
specifically tailored to encourage a specific new feature to
be used by existing customers -- which is a very unusual

event-driven promotion.

business-entity is a designation typically tied to a financial structure --
so, customer is defined based primarily on financial and billing details.

attempting to circumvent any existing suspension by creating new
accounts will eventually result in those accounts being suspended.

of course, google is the final arbiter of all policies.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Yakito

>>"Assuming Uncle Joe owns a bakery and way, way back, he opened an Adwords account using a coupon. He is well past the $25 activation and now spends $2000 a month. One day a client saw one of his drawings he did while the store was without customers and suggested him to put those on sale on Etsy. 

Here comes the question: Can Uncle Joe use a coupon to promote his new Etsy business even though he used a coupon to promote his Bakery Shop before?"

Once uncle Joe types in  a promo code into the billing section of his account - the coupon will be declined  (since one already been redeemed). If  uncle Joe opens a new account, to promote his bakery on Etsy (which already is promoted by AdWords)  and uses a coupon - he will be in violation  of both the coupon TOS AND also of the "gain unfair advantage" section of the Policy.  Note: Etsy is not a business - it is a platform to market the business (Joe's bakery).