AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How many ads would you start with, and how would you group them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

Wow, I'm feeling completely overwhelmed with all this! I'm trying to create a list of keywords, write the ads, group the ads...and on and on.

My main interests is testing ads to see what desires my potential customers want (speed, etc), and I'd like to group my ads by those desires.

However, would I be able to put a keyword in more than one ad group? For example, if a keyword was "real estate investment" and I had an ad group for both "cost" and "location", could I put the keyword "real estate investment" in both groups?

Heck, does that question even make sense? Smiley Happy

One other question...how many ads would you start with (in each group)? If I had seven groups, should I go for 2 or 3 in each group (for a total of 14-21)? More? Less?

Ok, I really hope this makes sense, as my brain is completely friend, and what I'm typing is barely making sense to ME!

Help! Smiley Happy

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How many ads would you start with, and how would you group them?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can put the same keywords within the same campaign but they would compete with each other and it would make your "tests" less reliable.

To be honnest I would start with only one or two ad groups and  max 3 to 4 ads to start with if you are new to AdWords.  Starting up a campaign is realy simple, fine-tuning and optimising serveral campaigns/adgroups at once just after you started can be very time consuming and frustrating. 

Start simple, and as soon as you understand how it works, you can make it more complicated.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi cvdover, marketsharer has given some good advice here that echoes what I'd always say.  Don't try to do everything in one hit, but focus on one aspect of your company initially, with a limited budget, and use this to provide data and feedback that can inform the rest of your campaign structure and laytout.

We see a lot of advertisers on this board who try to cover every possible aspect of their business in one hit and there are few (if any) who succeed.  

Adwords is a great tool for generating business and can work well in the Real Estate market but it does require time, testing and learning.  An analogy would be with learning to play the guitar.  We'd all like to make a guitar sing like Hendrix, and we can take lessons that let us play a few simple songs, but the truth is that real results only come with time and practice, practice, practice.  To bring this back to Adwords, don't try to play like Hendrix, learn how to play one song effectively, then expand what you learn from that into one other, then two more, then ten more, etc.

To answer some more specific question, you should always have more than one ad variation in a group.  You always need to test one ad against another for performance so the very least is two.  Four or five can be useful - but don't have so many that it's hard to track why this one works better than that one.

I'd also advise that you spend some time analysing your organic hits on your site (hits from "normal" searches on Google or others) to see which searches generate the most interest (time on site, pages visited, etc.) then reflect that in your Adwords campaign and/OR look to reflect this interest in your Adwords campaign.

Are you running Google Analytics on your existing site?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

You can put the same keywords within the same campaign but they would compete with each other and it would make your "tests" less reliable.

To be honnest I would start with only one or two ad groups and  max 3 to 4 ads to start with if you are new to AdWords.  Starting up a campaign is realy simple, fine-tuning and optimising serveral campaigns/adgroups at once just after you started can be very time consuming and frustrating. 

Start simple, and as soon as you understand how it works, you can make it more complicated.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi cvdover, marketsharer has given some good advice here that echoes what I'd always say.  Don't try to do everything in one hit, but focus on one aspect of your company initially, with a limited budget, and use this to provide data and feedback that can inform the rest of your campaign structure and laytout.

We see a lot of advertisers on this board who try to cover every possible aspect of their business in one hit and there are few (if any) who succeed.  

Adwords is a great tool for generating business and can work well in the Real Estate market but it does require time, testing and learning.  An analogy would be with learning to play the guitar.  We'd all like to make a guitar sing like Hendrix, and we can take lessons that let us play a few simple songs, but the truth is that real results only come with time and practice, practice, practice.  To bring this back to Adwords, don't try to play like Hendrix, learn how to play one song effectively, then expand what you learn from that into one other, then two more, then ten more, etc.

To answer some more specific question, you should always have more than one ad variation in a group.  You always need to test one ad against another for performance so the very least is two.  Four or five can be useful - but don't have so many that it's hard to track why this one works better than that one.

I'd also advise that you spend some time analysing your organic hits on your site (hits from "normal" searches on Google or others) to see which searches generate the most interest (time on site, pages visited, etc.) then reflect that in your Adwords campaign and/OR look to reflect this interest in your Adwords campaign.

Are you running Google Analytics on your existing site?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey cvdover, yes adwords can be overwhelming but you are in the right direction of why you want to test ads, so I hope this helps:

Number of ads and how to test

This depends on how much traffic you get but rule of thumb is 2-3. You can start off with 3 exactly identical ads, then change description line 1 with: "Low Cost Real Estate Investment", "Quick & Easy Real Estate Investment", "High Quality Real Estate Investment" - these lines fit in the ad but are only example of different focuses (cheaper, faster, better).

This way if one ad does better than you know it is only becuse of the line 1 and you know what they are looking for. Taking that lesson learned you expand into testing other parts of the ad

So if you only advertise locally with a small budget and get 12 clicks a day then you will want to stick with the 2-3 ads so each ad gets enough data within 3-4 weeks to see which ad is better. If you get 200 clicks a day you may be able to use 4-5 ads and find out in 1-2 weeks which ad is best.

I recommend always keeping your adwords structure organized and leave the same keyword in one ad group. When you start moving keywords around then it just gets messy for many reasons. Just set your ad rotation to "rotate evenly" in your campaign settings, monitor the ads closely and you should get your results.

Good Luck.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would recommend starting with 3 ads per ad group. 

This is the optimum number of ads to enable the "Optimise" feature of the AdWords system to work. 

Optimise is a feature that radomly rotates ads and then shows the best performing ads (the ads with the highest click through rates and other scores) more often.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hey, Jude (the Hendrix reference above caused this) Smiley Happy.

Why would you let the system optimize instead of rotating them evenly and then seeing which does better? If you let the system optimize, pretty soon you'll see just one ad being served. Also, if you already have a winner in an ad group and you place a new ad in it, the newbie won't stand a chance.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

How many ads would you start with, and how would you group them?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

did you get help yet? im searching for the same answers" how many ads" im running 4 to 5 ads per ad group" like Examples: Drywall and Painting i have 4 to 5 ads running in that set: although i do have another one called Drywall Plastering with 4 to 5 ads running ....... is this to many ads or to many ads? per" or is it hurting me if im to relevant to the other campaign: