AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How many Ads should i run per group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

im searching for answers" how many ads" im running 4 to 5 ads per ad group" like Examples: Drywall and Painting i have 4 to 5 ads running in that set: although i do have another one called Drywall Plastering with 4 to 5 ads running ....... is this to many ads or to many ads? per" or is it hurting me if im to relevant to the other campaign:

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Two or Three is usually best.  The true point of running more than one is to try to find the best performing ad.  The idea is to always be testing.  After you gather data, then you pause the lower performing ads and rotate in new test ads.

View solution in original post

Eva Rising Star
Rising Star
# 2
Eva Rising Star
Rising Star

Hi @Construction Consulting Design U, 

Google recommends having at least 2-3 ads per ad group (if your question is about search network campaign). The recommended number of ads should be also based on a number of impressions your ad group will receive. If your ad group receive a low amount of impressions you may go with 2-3 ads just to make sure all of your ads will accrue impressions significant enough for Google to optimize rotation of the ads.

if you are getting a lot of impressions, running 4-5 ads will be beneficial for your campaign optimization. 

Regards,
Eva
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Two or Three is usually best.  The true point of running more than one is to try to find the best performing ad.  The idea is to always be testing.  After you gather data, then you pause the lower performing ads and rotate in new test ads.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

The point of running multiple ads at once is to see which is performing better, pause under performers then add new ones to test again. Having multiple won't necessarily hurt you.

For most of my groups I use 2 ads. If the groups have really high volume I would have up to 4 because there is enough volume coming through you can still make a decision within a decent amount of time. I look to make a decision, if obvious, monthly.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David G, when you say {{{If the groups have really high volume}}} what percentage or click rate number# would be the best? meaning 50% 0r 75%???? 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

High volume, meaning impressions. Most of my clients are direct response, whether selling something or lead gen. So I use profit per impression (PPI) to determine which ads are performing better rather than CPA, conversion rate, or CTR.

(revenue - cost)/impressions

I won't even look to see if I can make a decision until we have at least 500 impressions x # of ads. So if I have 2 ads in there then I won't worry about looking at PPI until the group has at least 1,000 impressions during that test.

There are other factors that go into it as well. PPI assumes you have tested landing pages and it converts, as would any conversion related test. Paid search can send targeted traffic all day long, but no one looks at an ad and pulls out their credit card, ready to buy no matter what happens after the click. The landing page has to close the deal.

The other thing is, how long is the sale cycle? The longer the cycle the longer you may need to run the test because 500 impressions may not be enough to make a determination. In that case I would probably set up some micro goals to judge the ads by.

If you are running campaigns for lead gen, then it's the same premise. You just need to figure out how valuable a lead is to you. I will typically back into it based on how many leads it takes to close a sale and the value of that sale.

If you need 50 leads before you close a sale and the average sale is $1000, then your break-even for a lead would be $20/lead. You could technically use any number as long as you are consistent, but it's also important you know how valuable a lead is to you so you aren't overpaying.

I would also take into account assisted conversions.

If it's more of a branding play, then I would go off of CTR. You can use a statistical significance calculator like this http://drpete.co/split-test-calculator

Best of luck.