AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How interests / personal advertising works

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi - if I visit a site about cars. Can I only be tagged into a "car interest" if the site I visit has a google pixel on it? Or how is google putting me into an interest category of cars based on a site I visit?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Nope;

The code is for you to track conversions on your site. Google doesn't need the code to track users' behaviors. Google has its own tools,

Read about the information Google collects on Google's Privacy Policy;

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

It's more complex than that:  Visiting one sight of cars does not necessarily  signals an interest in cars, It's the user's  search history, the sites the user  visits and the content the user reads.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

I agree as Moshe has said, Google uses different signals to align a user to particular Intrest and affinity categories.

It uses like Chrome and Android Google Apps browsing history, Youtube and Google partner sites.

You may notice that Google shows the News feed in Google Now! The same way Google picks your interest behaviour in this case.

Now, coming to your question, If you only fall Car interest categories (assuming you only search car related keywords and reading the content of car related. 

In this case, you may see the Car related ads but you may also see different ads because the advertisers may target the affinity categories and you may fall there.

So, there are no definite answers here Smiley Happy

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you - that makes sense. 

I guess what I'm really asking is the following...

Lets say I have a website that I have decided I want to advertise so I place the google pixel on it. By having the google pixel on it - am I now giving google permission to track people browsing on my site and allowing them to be added to interest groups based on the content of my site. IE is it the pixel on my site that allows for this behaviour? OR is the ability to track user browser history separate to websites having the google pixel? IF the latter - how does it work exactly?

Thanks 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Nope;

The code is for you to track conversions on your site. Google doesn't need the code to track users' behaviors. Google has its own tools,

Read about the information Google collects on Google's Privacy Policy;

https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/