AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How does google choose between CPC and CPM on display network?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have 2 campaigns

A. CPC display network
Add Group X
Placement X

B. CPM display network
Add Group X
Placement X

For now the adds only seem to be showing up exclusively as CPM, but nothing shows up on CPC...

Is there a precedence, hierarchy, cascading rule?

Can I only have one or the other? I need this for split testing to see what converts better, CPM or CPC

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does google choose between CPC and CPM on display network?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Xuzo,

This is the information available on the help centre article - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2630842?hl=en

How CPM and CPC bids compete

Ads with different bid types can compete for the same Display Network placements.

To keep things fair, when CPC and CPM ads compete for the same Display Network placement, the two types of ads are compared apples-to-apples on how much they're effectively willing to pay for the impression. With a CPM ad, the max CPM bid represents how much the advertiser is willing to pay for each 1000 impressions; with a CPC ad, Google estimates how many clicks the ad might receive in 1000 impressions to get the comparison.

May be based on your bid, your CPM campaign is getting the preference.

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The calculation of comparing the two is not simple... This past discussion will help... (Grab a cup of coffee and find   a quiet place to read...)

CPC Ads & CPM Ads compete in same auction on Google Display Network?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Mmm. my solution is pause one and try then one at a time.

Seems to be the best way, run CPC for a few days and look at conversions, then run CPM and compare