AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How does adwords calculate quality score of keywords with multiple ads?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a newbie of Google Adwords, so am confused about some basic things. I do want to know, as we can create multiple ads in the same adgroup, a keyword can have different ad for this account. So how will google calculate the quality score of the keyword, which the expected ctr, ad relevance and landing page experience of the keyword should be different in terms of different ad.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does adwords calculate quality score of keywords with multiple ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Yik

Welcome to AdWords!

That's a great question and something I was confused about too. 

The thing you need to focus on is the fact that the QS is not based on the ad itself, it's based on the EXPECTED CTR as well as the ACTUAL CTR (and landing page experience, extensions etc.). 

The ad variations themselves play such a small role in expected CTR, it's not even worth thinking about. 

What you really need to be focusing on is ACTUAL CTR. This is by far the biggest contributor to quality score and it's what all of your energy should be spent on. 

Also, I know it's not entirely quality score related but I'd highly recommend that you watch this video as it's a really great introduction into how the auction works and what role quality score plays. 

How does adwords calculate quality score of keywords with multiple ads?

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

QS is calculated per impression instance. Whatever ad/Final URL is served for that specific impression, is used for adrank and QS equation. Which ad is served depends on your ad serving settings. If you are that concerned about QS for a single impression instance, then you have to remove as many variables as possible, and test each variable independently.

Tom