star_border

How does YouTube ad keywords work?

R G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
R G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have opened a campaign for advertising only on YouTube (300x250 ad) and I would

like to know how the keywords that I choose in my adwords campaign work.

When using a 300x250 ad the ad will show only on the right of a playing video on top

of the suggested videos.

So if I want my ad to show on a page of a video about let's say "Gibson Guitars"

then I will have "Gibson Guitars" as one of my keywords.

Now the question is, How will YouTube will connect my keyword from AdWords

to the video? Will it show the ad on videos that have these words in the title?

or maybe the video tags? Will it show my ad on videos that aren't related to my

keyword if someone have searched "Gibson Guitars" on YouTube but got in to a

video that doesn't have anything to do with "Gibson Guitars"?

Also, Is there an option to have my ad shown only on specific channels on YouTube?

Roy

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
October 2015

Re: How does YouTube ad keywords work?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi there,

A few thoughts:

1) Make sure you use youtube.com as a managed placement if you want the image ad to only appear on YouTube. You can also add placements that are specific channel pages to target specific channels.

2) Keyword targeting on the Display network is broad match by design, so you may need to experiment with some different types of targeting to find what works best for you. Targeting the keyword "gibson guitars" could trigger your ad based on many factors including the video title, description, and tags as you mentioned.

Many advertisers I've worked with have had better luck targeting with topic targeting or interest targeting on the Display network instead, since as you said, "Gibson guitar" could appear on a page that is not solely devoted to Gibson guitars.

You can learn more about targeting your ads to YouTube here.

Cassie

R G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
R G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks alot Cassie!

Roy

R G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
R G
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Cassie,

A little question about targeting specific channels:

1. If i paste the channel link into AdWords then how can I be sure it will place my ad on every video of that channel as the video link looks alot different than the channel link.
It's not that the add shows inside the channel itself.

2. If I have very specific channels that I want to place my ads in, then how can I make sure my ad will show regardless of the keywords? I just want it to show no matter what because targeting by channel is already 100% accurate target for me.

Thanks,
Roy

Community Manager
# 5
Community Manager

Hi Roy,

I saw that you posted your question again over here and got some responses. Did you get this resolved?

Thanks!

Cassie