Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How does Interests Marketing Works?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello,

My client wants to target users who are searching in Google Related to products blowers and lathe machine. So i have suggested Interest Marketing to them. My question is how does Google decides person  interest. If any one is searching in Google for machinery and visits websites related to machines so Google will set person's interest as machinery. And if i select machinery as Interest targeting than Google will display that person a banners related to my site. Am i correct about Interest Targeting or does it work differently? What is the best way to start with Interest Marketing as i have heard bounce rate is very high and avg. time spend on website is very less for display targeting.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How does Interests Marketing Works?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Yes, when someone visits a website, Google uses the main topics and themes from the page as well as data from third-party companies to associate interests with a visitor’s anonymous cookie. This also takes into account how often people visit sites like those, among other factors.

In nutshell, it allows you to reach visitors across the Google Display Network who’ve demonstrated specific interests, regardless of whether your ad correlates with the particular topic of the page they're currently on.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
It helps to think about this in terms of print advertising.

Basically Google knows which sites are like Cosmopolitan and which are like Auto Mechanic...

If you are looking to advertise black cocktail dresses then Google will use interests to determine that Cosmo is going to be a "better" place for your ad to run.

However, since you are actually looking to advertise something quite niche, you might also add some keywords around your product - in the same way that you might ask Cosmo to run your ad around any article about New Years Eve parties, or What Should the Powerful Business Woman be Wearing this Fall?

This way the topic is the magazine itself and the keywords help determine where in the magazine the ad should run....

Hope that helps a little

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hello,

Thanks for your reply. But i have certain doubts about how Google will decide what is my interest. It will be decided by my browser history or from Gmail Id from which i am logged in. And does interest marketing works for Chrome browser only or for all the browsers Google will decide my Interest. I want to understand how this will work.

Thanks

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

For all the browsers, based on many things. The first thing is of course your history of using Google products like Google search, Youtube, Gmail...etc.

The second thing as mentioned before is based on your browsing history for Google partner websites. When someone visits one of those websites, Google uses the main topics and themes from the page to associate interests with a visitor’s anonymous cookie. This also takes into account how often people visit sites like those, among other factors

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Google does NOT use your search queries or your GMail to determine your interests for display targeting. User interests are inferred from browsing patterns on YouTube and the GDN: If you visit sites and watch videos about gardening then Google will infer that you are interested in gardening.

"Adding audiences allows you to reach people based on their specific interests as they browse pages, videos, and content across YouTube and the Google Display Network as well as channels and videos on the YouTube Search Network."
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941?hl=en