AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How does Google decide which keywords to show my ads on?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My campaign has a large amount of keywords, some obviously better targeted than others. However, I notice consistently that my impressions (and subsequent clicks) are largely for the less relevant keywords, currently at a rate of 10 to 1. Is this just a matter of needing to narrow my focus to the best keywords ONLY or is there a way to have Adwords impressions focus on particular keywords more and thus allow me to reverse my ratios? 

4 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author zunalter
September 2015

Re: How does Google decide which keywords to show my ads on?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Zunalter,

Agree with whatever said above. 

But would like to add a suggestion. You said you are NOT getting exposure for the keywords you think are more relevant to your business but getting impressions/clicks for the ones which are less relevant in your opinion. 

Now, you need to optimize your account in way that AdWords too knows this better. You can do this by creating more optimized and targeted ad copies. Write your ad copies taking your most relevant keywords into consideration. Have more than one such ad copies.  Use proper negatives in place and avoid the least relevant keywords and bid less on lesser relevant keywords, and obviously higher on the most relevant ones. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
A good way to think of this is to imagine two auctions going on...

when a search terms is entered into the system Google runs an internal auction in your account... basically it uses the same criteria it uses in the second auction and determines which of your keywords is selected as your account champion to go and do battle in the external auction....

Then the second auction is between your champion and your competitor's champions who do battle for the top spots in the "real" auction....

Of course, there are plenty of factors that can affect which keyword of yours wins your internal auction, and it is often best to try and tightly theme your keywords into ad groups so that you get the most control over the results of this first step.

I most cases you will know which of your keywords you would want to represent you for a specific search term - you know which ad you would ideally like the searcher to see and which landing page would be ideal for them to land on... so structure your account (by limiting keywords, using negatives and match types) to ensure that this is what happens. You cannot control what your competitors send to the auction, but you can make sure that your champion is the best champion you can present!

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Zunalter,

Welcome to the Adwords community.

Only one keyword in your account can trigger an ad per search term. When several similar keywords in your account matches a search term, the selection of the most relevant keyword by the system is based on certain criteria.

Find how the AdWords system uses a set of preferences to determine which of your keywords to use here.

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Zunalter,

It seems that your account has several broad keywords in different account. And it is the tendency of broad keywords to triggers the ads. The keywords which have higher ad rank win the ad auctions, that's why you see such behavior in your account. To avoid this you can add the possible negative keywords from the other ad groups, where you don't want to trigger the ads. Try to use different display URL in different Adgroups text ads.

Or You can also focus to build the list of exact keywords list and write appropriate ad copy for them. In this way you can control the impression from the other Adgroups/Keywords.
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Zunalter,

Agree with whatever said above. 

But would like to add a suggestion. You said you are NOT getting exposure for the keywords you think are more relevant to your business but getting impressions/clicks for the ones which are less relevant in your opinion. 

Now, you need to optimize your account in way that AdWords too knows this better. You can do this by creating more optimized and targeted ad copies. Write your ad copies taking your most relevant keywords into consideration. Have more than one such ad copies.  Use proper negatives in place and avoid the least relevant keywords and bid less on lesser relevant keywords, and obviously higher on the most relevant ones. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
A good way to think of this is to imagine two auctions going on...

when a search terms is entered into the system Google runs an internal auction in your account... basically it uses the same criteria it uses in the second auction and determines which of your keywords is selected as your account champion to go and do battle in the external auction....

Then the second auction is between your champion and your competitor's champions who do battle for the top spots in the "real" auction....

Of course, there are plenty of factors that can affect which keyword of yours wins your internal auction, and it is often best to try and tightly theme your keywords into ad groups so that you get the most control over the results of this first step.

I most cases you will know which of your keywords you would want to represent you for a specific search term - you know which ad you would ideally like the searcher to see and which landing page would be ideal for them to land on... so structure your account (by limiting keywords, using negatives and match types) to ensure that this is what happens. You cannot control what your competitors send to the auction, but you can make sure that your champion is the best champion you can present!