AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How does Google decide which ad to display?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand that an adgroup is a collection of ads and keywords.

So, if someone performs a search that leads to my adgroup, and my bid is high enough, an ad should show.  But, if I have 10 ads in my group, how does Google decide *which* ad to show?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noah S
September 2015

Re: How does Google decide which ad to display?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Noah, it depends upon your Ad Rotation setting within the Campaign.  Essentially there are three different options - Optimise for Clicks, Optimise for Conversions and Rotate Evenly (which actually has two slightly different versions).  If your setting is to optimise for Clicks, Google will show the Ad with the best historical CTR against that Keyword (and possibly other factors).  If it's set to optimise for Conversions, they'll show the Ad with the best Conversion history with that Keyword (and other factors).  If you're using one of the Rotate options then each Ad in the Group will be entered into roughly the same number of auctions so I guess the Ad that'll be shown is the one that's been entered into the least auctions at the time the Keyword is matched though again, I'll bet it's slightly more complex than that.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Noah S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Noah, it depends upon your Ad Rotation setting within the Campaign.  Essentially there are three different options - Optimise for Clicks, Optimise for Conversions and Rotate Evenly (which actually has two slightly different versions).  If your setting is to optimise for Clicks, Google will show the Ad with the best historical CTR against that Keyword (and possibly other factors).  If it's set to optimise for Conversions, they'll show the Ad with the best Conversion history with that Keyword (and other factors).  If you're using one of the Rotate options then each Ad in the Group will be entered into roughly the same number of auctions so I guess the Ad that'll be shown is the one that's been entered into the least auctions at the time the Keyword is matched though again, I'll bet it's slightly more complex than that.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks,

That's a perfect explanation!