AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How does BMM work with numbers/digits?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

I'm working on restructuring a campaign that was setup by a different agency and one of the ad groups has over 1,000 keywords that are effectively variations on {number} wheel the same CPC where {number} ranges from 2 to 55, touching many individual numbers in between. Examples:

6 wheel

7 wheel

8 wheel

"6 wheel"

"7 in wheel"

"8 in wheel"

+6 +wheel

+7 +wheel

+8 +wheel

[6 wheel]

[7 wheel]

[8 wheel]

I'm trying to simplify the setup without loosing too many potential searches, but I'm having trouble narrowing down how a KW like +6 +wheel broad matches the number. The SQR, even for long time periods, doesn't show any search terms that don't include 6 (six doesn't show at all, 6.5 only once).

Part of the trouble seems to be that 6 wheel (broad match) is getting lots of other variations. The SQR includes lots of impressions for 7 wheel and 8 wheel, even though exact and broad matches for those have been in place with the same bid in the same ad group.

Any insight into how to best match a large number of number based KWs? Is a BMM like 6 +wheel a good start?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle C
September 2015

Re: How does BMM work with numbers/digits?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyle C,

Practically '6 wheel', '7 wheel', '8 wheel' etc. are different keywords. You can use them as individual keywords based on their relevancy to your client's offerings. They won't be duplicate keywords. 

Using BMM if you modify both the terms viz. +7 +wheel and if it's the only keyword you are using from the variations, there would be almost no likelihood of your ads being triggered for 6 wheel or 8 wheel. However, if you modify only +wheel or do modify your keyword at all and keep them as '7 +wheel' or '7 wheel', the possibility of ads being triggered for keywords like 8 wheel, 6 wheel, 77 wheel etc. cannot be denied. 

Hence, if these keywords individually are relevant to my business, I would keep them as separate keywords. In case of wheel related keywords, the numbers added to them make them entirely different keywords. The search intent becomes different. Also, every variation has enough search volume to trigger different ads. 

But if you talk about it in a different perspective, numbers may or may not affect the relevancy much. For instance -

Buy mobile phones and buy 7 mobile phones would trigger almost same ads. Because buy 7 mobile phones do not affect the searchers' intent much. 

Again, if you search for buy 6 mobile phones, most of the ads you would see would be of iphone 6... You know the reason why... 

To conclude, numbers may or may not play roles. Your focus should be on search intent. And in terms of search intent 6 wheel and 7 wheel are entirely different keywords. For me, you should target them individually.

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Kyle,

One crucial thing while working with BMM's (as well as with simple BM's): you always use negatives. If you split keywords into ad groups according to the number of wheels, for example, ad group SIX WHEELS, you add negatives with other common numbers (5,7,8, etc.).

Moreover, you constantly work with negative keywords after the campaign is launched, that is, checking the "search terms" report. You'll find more information regarding this report here. BMM is quite broad after all, so sometimes loads of negatives are still needed to make it as precise as possible. 

Milda Prušinskaitė

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kyle C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyle C,

Practically '6 wheel', '7 wheel', '8 wheel' etc. are different keywords. You can use them as individual keywords based on their relevancy to your client's offerings. They won't be duplicate keywords. 

Using BMM if you modify both the terms viz. +7 +wheel and if it's the only keyword you are using from the variations, there would be almost no likelihood of your ads being triggered for 6 wheel or 8 wheel. However, if you modify only +wheel or do modify your keyword at all and keep them as '7 +wheel' or '7 wheel', the possibility of ads being triggered for keywords like 8 wheel, 6 wheel, 77 wheel etc. cannot be denied. 

Hence, if these keywords individually are relevant to my business, I would keep them as separate keywords. In case of wheel related keywords, the numbers added to them make them entirely different keywords. The search intent becomes different. Also, every variation has enough search volume to trigger different ads. 

But if you talk about it in a different perspective, numbers may or may not affect the relevancy much. For instance -

Buy mobile phones and buy 7 mobile phones would trigger almost same ads. Because buy 7 mobile phones do not affect the searchers' intent much. 

Again, if you search for buy 6 mobile phones, most of the ads you would see would be of iphone 6... You know the reason why... 

To conclude, numbers may or may not play roles. Your focus should be on search intent. And in terms of search intent 6 wheel and 7 wheel are entirely different keywords. For me, you should target them individually.

My two cents. 

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

@mildaster @Ratan-Jha - Thanks for the insight.

I think I was unclear about the use of the numbers: the intent is size, not quantity (i.e. 7 inch wheel or 8 inch wheel). The range covered by the client inventory is very large (around 100 integers plus many fraction variations).

I've been trying to compare the Search Terms report for the different KWs and match types that were setup, but have not been able to identify a clear pattern.

We decided to focus on variations that do not include a specific size as a starting point. We will be watching the Search Terms report to decide if we need to start building out the specific sizes, starting with higher volume sizes.